Dumaguete Info Search

Fitness Gym

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by luvdox, Jun 11, 2012.

1. luvdox

luvdox DI Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 3
    Are there any fitness gyms in Dumaguete City? My hubby is quite a gym rat and has list of stuff that he must have to have when we decide to move to Duma. Thanks!

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    luvbox, there are a few good gyms in Dgte and another opening soon. Many foreigners work out at World Fitness or Fit for Life. World Fitness has the newest equipment, from China, will see how long it lasts. Foreigners and locals blend in well at the gyms. I think the cost to join World Fitness is 1000p + 1000p a month. Fit for Life is around 600p + 600p monthly. I've checked out some of the others not mentioned as well. World Fitness is the best and good aircon.

3. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    If there are any intentions of using a free standing heavy bag, speed bag, or anything of that nature you better bring your own. Beats me why, but in 2 years living here full-time I cannot find one single martial arts style gym even a boxing gym. With a National hero like Manny not one boxing gym in Dumaguete I can find, let alone a martial arts style gym. Good luck. Hopefully there is one hiding somewhere, I am still looking.

4. OP
    OP
    luvdox

luvdox DI Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 3
    This is great info. My hubby will surely love this news. Thanks a lot PatO!

5. OP
    OP
    luvdox

luvdox DI Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 3
    Charlie T.

Sorry but no ... hubby goes to the gym to lift weights and do cardio every other day and swim laps almost everyday. If the gym don't have a lap pool that won't bother him. He could go to a resort and get some swimming done.

Yes, I agree with you that there should be a gym for boxing and martial arts ... hhmmmm.... maybe you could do a feasibility study and put up a gym for this as your business? I'm sure there are many enthusiasts out there like you.

6. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Let's have this discussion after you have lived here for 2 years. Time has a way of answering questions.
    There are no pools at any of the gyms.
    There is an Olympic size lap/racing pool and a diving pool with towers at the Convention Center. But beware the pool polis lady , you don't want to get caught swimming in the wrong direction ! O-|

7. OP
    OP
    luvdox

luvdox DI Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 3
    Good to know there is an olympic size lap pool at the convention center.... And about the gym... that wud be something to think about... as the saying goes.. if you build it they will come. I remember as a kid growing up in Basay. My father used to be a small time boxer during his time and on his days off (he was a mechanic at the then thriving CDCP Mining) he wud gather my 2 younger brothers and teach them how to throw punches on a sack full of sand hanged down from the tree. Then the kids from our neighbors would come and for all we know everyone was taking turns..... it was fun to watch. So, this cud also be a good sport for youth program in Duma. .. and by the way as for the lady pulis i wonder if she is there to keep track if the swimmer is coming or going to warrant someone swimming in a wrong direction? ha ha
    Thanks for the info.

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    one of our members running a youth boxing thingy, they are also frequently doing presentations and competitions in the mall

9. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Hi Charlie T. I was told today that the general public can use the speed bags and heavy bag at City High School on weekends and holidays. I haven't been there myself but I can try to get more information if you like.

Steve