Dumaguete Info Search

Flooding in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by israelidancer, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. israelidancer

israelidancer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Was there some bad flooding in Dumaguete in the last 3 days? Lack of water? Lack of electricity? Floods to shoulder level?:(

2. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
  3. OP
    OP
    israelidancer

israelidancer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks

I missed that whole thread when I clicked on "New Posts" today.
    :eek:
    Keith

4. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    yikes, floods everywhere!

Yes, the city of Dumaguete experienced flooding in many areas on the 7th of February. Waters went inside houses knee-high in some and even higher in other areas. At our place, we didn't have water for more than 24 hours. Oh boy. The environment is screaming bad and Dumaguetenos need to do something quick and fast before we all be riding boats around the city.

5. Kansas Tom

Kansas Tom DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What caused the recent flooding in Dumaquete and what areas of the city are the most flood prone? Am strongly considering moving my family there from the states this summer and would like to know what areas to avoid.

6. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The cause for fear of stating the obvious: RAIN.

Areas to avoid: Low lying ones.

I'm NOT trying to be smart. There is a lot of rainfall here. This is supposed to be the dry season. When ever I ask "When does the dry season start?", I receive the answer "When it stops raining!".

I consulted a good number of references before moving here. I found out that the climate varies considerably locally. The weather, on the other hand, holds many surprises. Do your homework and take your chances.

Come soon and take a tour of inspection. Looking at the land will best answer your question of susceptibility of flooding. I live fewer than 100 metres from the Banica. I'm dry. Others are at greater distances from their local drainage. They got wet. It's a question of vertical distance above the established high water flooding mark. Even then, you must check your sewer connection. You can become flooded from within when the sewer backs up.

Now, if you are not mystified yet, consider the likelihood of landslide as well. Two of the recent fatalities were on high ground. The result of the earth moving.

Best advice:

1) do your homework before you arrive; and
    2) have a reconnaissance trip. Use your own senses to physically examine the terrain.

7. Kansas Tom

Kansas Tom DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    davfitz...Thanks for your prompt response. Thought perhaps the flooding may be connected with sea wave action. If it is just heavy rain and topography issues, I can deal with that...just find a topo map and look for higher ground!

8. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    avoid low places

Hi! The places which are mostly "flooded" are those that are situated in the lower parts of the city. Look for higher grounds and those with good drainage systems.

9. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Rarity has it only partly correct. Many flooded areas ARE on higher ground but within the flood plain of their drainage systems. That's the point.

Living in Valencia won't save you from flooding when the sewer system backs up. I may go out again on my bicycle and take some more photos in the countryside. The Banica's flood took out a good portion of the Dumaguete City dump. You can see the result spread all over many places which a realtor would assure you are not subject to flooding.

The sheer volume of water also does the trick. The small stream running immediately to the south of the airport's boundary spread it's flood waters over a huge area. Most of that has receded now and the residents are industriously cleaning up the resultant muddy mess. It does not require a life-threatening inundation to cause concern, work and unforecast expense. Looking at the plants along the side of the road with a brown "tide line" eighteen inches from their bases tells me the story.

10. Papards

Papards One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to hear about the flooding in Dumaguete. That is totally terrible. Hope God helps the people in rebuilding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.