Dumaguete Info Search

Food Allergy

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by mattchu5150, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattchu5150

mattchu5150 DI Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 32
    Hey everyone I hope to get a little help on this one.

I have some friends coming for a 2 week visit and one has a "Gluten" allergy. I haven't noticed any restaurant that has any items recognizing this. If anyone else has this problem, any insight on where to buy some special foods or restaurants would be very helpful. I know that it affects everything from beer to bread.

Thanks!

2. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Can't help with the gluten issue bud my dad is severely allergic to beef. We keep bottle of bendryl handy and it has saved his life more than once. Without a hospital visit too.

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Attchu, gluten is wheat. Not much wheat used in the Philippines except in the restaurants that cater to foreigners. I don't believe you will find wheat in the beer here either.

Larry

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Erdinger dark wheat-beer, my favorite in Germany and here in Dumaguete, actually there should be some barley in local beers, but who knows about red-horse and SML.

"Gluten" might be different in different languages, but it is usually find in most grains not only in wheat, so basically in all cereals and breads. It could be also used as filler in sausages .... well, in the local sausages they use old paper boxes ..

smoked ham, blue-cheese and German homemade sausages. not be healthy but a great way to stuff the belly.

your friends might be OK with most of the local food. rice, corn, fish, pork, beef, chicken, garden salads. Tequila, wine, Rum, Brandy qualifies as gluten-free drinks.

with restaurants, well you need an educated chef or manager that you can really tell them the issue... not many around of that in Dumaguete, and don't think one single waiter/waitress would understand the issue.

cheers

Rhoody

5. OP
    OP
    mattchu5150

mattchu5150 DI Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 32

Thanks all,

I have learned that pretty much all the SM products contain gluten in one sense or another. As far as the Erdinger, you are saying it does not contain? I like that brand they make some pretty good beers, drank them a lot in China.

We have got a pretty good grip on home cooking, he has been dealing with this for a few years now. Ingredients are good, fruits, veggies, and meat a plenty. It was how we can go out to dinner in town and enjoy a night out that I am worried about. Drinking will not be a problem as long as there is plenty of tequila and rum! Maybe I can talk to Gunther and he can accommodate. Funny you mention the waiter/waitress thing, even in the USA they can't figure it out half the time.

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    the other way around, probably more than any other... :D

for sure he can, or his other 2 real and educated European chefs (Heinz and Marcel).
    just did not wanna mention that name again ... but i simply can't think of any other place in Dumaguete doing what asked for when it is about a special diet.

you also might have good luck at Cafe Laguna. There should be plenty gluten-free dishes. also Labaz seafood should be ok.

7. OP
    OP
    mattchu5150

mattchu5150 DI Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 32
    Thanks everyone.

8. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    If in doubt - go without. Language barriers and the normal ideal of "just tell them what they wanna hear" could mena getting the wrong information.

Example of this: Casablanca (one of my very favorites!) 2 weeks ago. A friend doesn't eat pork and ordered the Goulash. He asked what the goulash was made of and the waiter said "beef". It's served with a dumpling sort of ball in the middle of it and once tried and half eaten....my friend confirmed with the waiter again, who then actually went to ask the chef in the kitchen. The ball in the middle is pork, not beef.

Now imagine the look on someones face that finds this out?? What if it would have filled him? What if it completely violated his religion? Etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.