Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Foodpanda is taking Dumaguete by storm

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Glendazumba, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    You must have noticed the motorcycle-riding men in pink and with a huge pink food bag behind them zooming in the city streets to deliver food. These Foodpanda warriors, about 200 of them, are paid based on the number of deliveries they make in a day. So there is no slacking, no dilly-dallying except for when they have to wait for the food that is being cooked or prepared for them to deliver.

Well, I have also noticed that the burgeoning of these delivery men in motorcycles have more or less halted the "riding in tandem" issue that was a big problem to this city months ago. Before the booming of this delivery men in motorcycles, there seemed to be a shooting or a killing here and there.

It is great that businesses like these involving men riding motorcycles have kept a lot of people employed and busy.

Let us hope for the best.

2. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +261 / 52
    It is great that[/QUOTE]
    So when election time looms again, I can expect my food to be delivered cold or not at all, as the so called part time food panda warriors are just killing time delivering food, before the real killing begins.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    I honestly don’t understand why the lack of killings can be attributed to the pink riders. There could be a hundred reasons for why we don’t hear of these killings as often as before, but I don’t think it’s because these riders got gainfully employed as delivery boys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    So when election time looms again, I can expect my food to be delivered cold or not at all, as the so called part time food panda warriors are just killing time delivering food, before the real killing begins.[/QUOTE]
    I do not want to have that kind of thinking. I think jobs and employment are the real answers to the killing issue.

5. OP
    OP
    Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Unemployment is the number one reason for crime commissions in this city. Foodpanda and other delivery services are actually giving jobs and employment to a lot of these men who would otherwise do anything for money.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Food Panda IS however creating a lot of enemies especially from business owners. Food Panda demands 35% of the bill cost and pays drivers 55p per delivery from what I've been told including from businesses signed up with Food Panda. Business's aren't allowed to raise prices as well along with FP harasses business's to show FP advertising on menu's and door of the restaurant and harass businesses that take an unscheduled day off (think brownout).

Now 35% doesn't sound to bad on a small order considering delivery costs but it has no maximum I've been told. so if you use FP to order a bunch of food from your favorite pizza place that doesn't deliver and spend 1500p FP demands 500p of that from the business. This really kills the profit margin for many of these businesses who have been finding there are no profits for them and sometimes even losing due to the very tight market many places are stuck in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    Sorry, but are you implying that foodpanda company are employing these hired killers? That they are hiring with no security checks, character references, and the like?

I am still struggling with understanding why you would attribute foodpanda delivery boys to the lowered crime statistics as if these hired riding in tandem killers would have no job opportunity other than be delivery boys for a company that makes them wear pink.

Last I checked too, those hired killers were employed by the PNP no less, so they didn’t kill because they were jobless and poor. They did it because they could.

Sorry Glenda, but I’d have to disagree with you here. Foodpanda provided jobs, but it didn’t clear up the streets.

8. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    As written elsewhere, they're taking a huge cut out of the margins, pay very little to the drivers, and in the end food quality will suffer because restaurants have to save somewhere. It's oh so convenient and hard to resist but I really hate to see several of my favourite restaurants take part in this.

Not to mention the amount of trash for wrapping all that food for delivery.

So no, not a good thing, except for the food panda share holders.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Hired killers, drug pushers and other criminals etc. are from everywhere. When arrests are made almost all of those arrested are described as UNEMPLOYED.

Of course, I am not saying that these delivery businesses are hiring criminals or potential criminals---no, of course not. I believe these guys have been screened and required to submit documents. The sad part is the fact that until now, none of these so-called "hired killers" had been arrested and blacklisted. They are everywhere and anytime could secure documents etc.
    The point I wanted to emphasize is the opportunities offered by these delivery businesses to many of our unemployed constituents. Their existence is a deterrent---just my thought.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I do not know if I get you, but Foodpanda has no minimum or maximum delivery rate. You may order food below Php 100 & they will deliver it to you and I do not think it is getting 35% cut--I have personally spoken to a business owner and found out that FB does not demand any cut from them. But this business has been in operation for many years in Cebu and Manila so it must be doing well both ways.

• Like Like x 1