Dumaguete Info Search

For friends of Tom Wade

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by expatron, May 23, 2012.

1. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    It's with a heavy heart I would like to let friends of Tom Wade, (American) who has been living in Tambobo for several years and formerly in Danao Cebu. He passed away last Sunday morning. He has been battling cancer for many years.
    He will be greatly missed and may he rest in peace. Miss ya Tom.

My condolences to his wife Maxine and adult children Beth and Ross.

Ron

2. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    This is very very sad news. I have been away in UK for three weeks for surgery, remotely connected to Toms ailment, and read this announcement when I logged in on arrival in Manila on the return leg. Many thanks for posting the announcement Ron, as I had intended to phone Maxine and arrange to visit once I felt well enough to negotiate the Spanish road that leads to their house. Knowing this has prevented an awkward and uncomfortable moment on the phone.

I knew Tom well. As soon as we had met for the first time we knew that we would become good friends, and anyone else who got to know him couldn't fail to like him and be enamoured by him. He was totally devoted to his wonderful wife Maxine, justifiably proud of the achievements of Beth and Ross, and youngest daughter Sasha completely idolised him, as he did her. Many of our most memorable times were spent on the verandah of his beautiful house, next to the Tongo Sail Inn, watching the sunset, quaffing respectable quantities of red wine and having all the answers to all the questions. He was truly great company, big in stature, huge in heart, yet for such a big man he was softly spoken and never confrontational. He felt that the island was the paradise that he had searched for, and his little corner of it, together with Maxine, the family and his much loved dogs, was his personal Utopia. A little know piece of Toms' history is that he spent many years in the US Air Force, and, immediately prior to his discharge, had devised and was responsible for the complete air defence of the Philippines. Despite his air force background, I ribbed him many times that his appearance made him look like Cap'n Birdseye, and he would have looked at home on the bridge of an old fashioned whaler chasing Moby Dick.Tom was well aware of the severity of his condition and was philosphical that the end would come when it was due. Having made numerous visits to Guam and Hawaii for assessment, he declined any further treatment, telling me at one stage "it's better that they use that stuff on someone who has a fighting chance than waste it on me". He was an absolute gentleman and I am truly sorry that the end came when I was not here. I am told that Nigel of the Tong Sail Inn will, at some time next week, take Toms ashes out to sea and scatter them.

Tom, the world was a richer place for you being in it, and a poorer place for you leaving it. Sleep well and sleep long my friend, for you are pain free now. You are the advance party for those of us that are left behind, and we will meet again in due course in another dimension.

Roger

3. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Thank you Roger, he was one of my first friends when I sailed into Danao a long time ago. As I said I will miss him for a long time, and you are correct and hit the nail on the head.
    Thanks again. Ron