Dumaguete Info Search

For Sale Kuwaiti Commemorative Coin

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by bold.and.beautiful, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bold.and.beautiful

bold.and.beautiful DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kuwait Commerative Coin

The paper enclosed with the coin (included) reads exactly as follows, in both English and Aribic. This coin was minted as a limited edition collectors' piece, given to Dignataries, Military and Government Officials, etc. This specific coin was passed down to me by a relative who was part of the Kuwait Resistance during the First Gulf War, when Kuwait was overrun and pilaged by Saddam Husein and Iraqi Military Forces.

"In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful"

"Kuwait celebrates the First Anniversary of its Liberation Day in Feburary 1991, a God Almighty has already bestowed upon it the grace of liberaing its dear homeland from the filthy Iraqi occupation through the endeavors of sincere Kuwaiti nationals supported with assistance from brotherly friendly countries all over the world. These joint efforts resulted in a great coalition whose forces drove out the brutal troops ofoppression and agression restoring Kuwait to its people and its legitimate authority. Thereby, Kuwait is free once more, with its banner hoisted up, to resume its course among the nations that are devoted to maintain peace, supported freedom, and sustain progress over the whole world. Praise be to God, the Lord of the Universe!"

"The Central Bank of Kuwait, participating in the celebration of the ocassion, issued a silver commerative coin with the following specifications:

1. OBVERSE:
    It includes
    - Arabic verse, in both Arabic and English, "If Allah Bestows Victory Upon You, None Can Overcome You"
    - The written expresssion of "Liberation of Kuwait Fen 1991" in Arabic and English,
    - Written expression of the "Central Bank of Kuwait" in Arabic and English, at the heart of the design,
    - An excerpt from a speach by H. H. the Amir of the State of Kuwait at the United Nations Organization in Arabic and English, on the frame outside the Arabesque.

2. REVERSE:
    It includes
    - The Vignette of:
    * The National Assembly Building
    * The Seit Palace
    * The Communication Tower
    * The Grand State Mosque Building
    * The Central Bank of Kuwait Premises;
    - The written expression of "Kuwait Is Free" in both Arabic and English.

Dimensions: Diameter 38.61mm, Weight 28.28 grams 92.5% Pure Silver

//////////////////

US$50.00 selling price (PHOTO TO FOLLOW)

2. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I don't wish to rain on the vendor's parade but I'd be cautious about purchasing any commemorative coin unless I had an interest in the event being commemorated. Governments are increasingly issuing coins whose face value does not match their bullion value. Collectors, including myself, are becoming more and more irked at this.

I know whereof I speak. In my wallet, I carry a CDN $100.00 gold coin, which I have given up trying to sell. The Bank of Canada will no longer honour its mint's own coin for its face value as currency. The bullion value of the coin, when last I checked was CDN$ 85.00.

Silver traded at USD 10.79 per troy ounce on 31 Dec 08.

Live gold prices, silver price charts & gold news.

3. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    you sure got my attention here...part of the Kuwait Resistance? :cool: i was there...

was he or she?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.