Dumaguete Info Search

Poll For Those Who Bought Homes in Dumaguete and Area

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dave_Hounddriver, Jun 11, 2017.

?

What source was most instrumental in your decision to buy property here.

1. I have no clue, the wife took care of it all and I just paid

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. I found a real estate sales site online that had exactly what I wanted so I bought it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I found a real estate agent in or around Dumaguete who helped me buy this one.

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I found it in an expat forum and we made the deal

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. I found it in an online classified site like OLX and it worked out that I bought it.

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  6. I wandered around the area I wanted to live and checked what was for sale until I found it.

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  7. I went to a sales office in a subdivision and found a unit I liked

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. I went to a subdivision I liked and checked out who was selling their unit and bought one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. A friend went looking for me and made some suggestions and one of them worked for me

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  10. A stranger walked up to me and said "Hey Joe, you want to buy a house" and I said sure.

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    For Those Who Actually Bought Homes in Dumaguete and Area, can you tell us what source you used to make the actual purchase?

I'll try to put an actual poll on here (never done that before so I can only give it a try) but answer in a post if you will. It will be helpful to many to figure out how you finally made the decision to buy the particular house you bought.

Some people built their own house, so for them the question is more about how the found that particular piece of land that they laid out cash for. (I mean if its given to you by the family that does not count).

Some possibilities may be an Internet site, or a family friend, or a promoter, or a licensed/unlicensed real estate sales agent. Please share your story.

If answering the poll, please limit your responses to the one or two most appropriate answers. The poll only allows a limited number of possible responses so it your answer is "other" then pick the closest option and explain in a post. Your participation is appreciated by those of us who are either looking to buy or to sell at some point.

2. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I started the poll so I will share how I bought mine. I saw an add on OLX or some similar site for a subdivision. The price looked good so I sent the gf to the subdivision office and she came home with a price I liked so the rest is history.

• Like Like x 3
  3. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Is there a way to see poll results without voting? or can you add a 'still a renter' or 'not buying' answer?

• Like Like x 2
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    How about adding ignorance to the survey for something like jumping into the water without knowing how deep it was? :banghead: Other options might be a place for the family to live or an investment. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    For both of the last two posters: You make good points and I wish there was a way to add more options but I think that's the limit. I'll go back to edit and check if I can, but thanks for adding your thoughts to the thread;

EDIT: I cannot edit the poll now but @Wrye83 may be able to. Please feel free to adjust the settings to encourage people to respond. More votes means more info.

A change to allow people to say: "Still renting but curious about the poll." would be great. Another change to say "I jumped in and don't recommend doing it my way." would be another great addition.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I bought a property to build a home on.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I picked the first option though I did have a clue but the wife found the lot (turned into lots as we bought the one behind us). We were looking around Tanjay, as I do really like the area, so Cherry found some lots coming available in Tugas. The price was good so we pulled the trigger. The second lot purchase was basically because I could not figure out how to put the house I wanted with a front and back yard on what we had...ended up paying more for the second lot per m2 but it is what it is and wanted it.

Always better to have the wife or SO negotiate things...a perfect example; I've been looking for some farmland for a few years that works for what I want. Cherry found a place, bigger than I wanted and access would have caused me to make some upgrades...the price was perfect and we were going to pay cash for it, until somehow they figured out an expat involved.

The price increased significantly and even though it was still a decent deal, it pissed me off. The property remains unsold and I will find something else because I did not appreciate how that worked out.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  8. Michael. B

Michael. B DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +194 / 12
    WE did spend more than 2 years looking around the greater Dumaguete area before we found our present home, too many homes for sale but when checking also found too many issues with many of them. Most important thing needed is a good attorney, well one with a good secretary as its the staff that do all the work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It appears that you have created the maximum number of possible answers. I can't add any additional options. I was able to make it to where people can see the results without voting. Featured poll for a month.

• Like Like x 3
  10. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sorry, I just realized that this poll is for expats. I voted for "A friend went looking for me..." and I don't know how to delete my vote. Also, I mentioned in another thread about a recent joint venture with my bf but the property is outside Negros Oriental so it doesn't apply here.