Dumaguete Info Search

Foreigner drowning in Valencia

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Manzanita, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I've just received word that Mr.Russell Harvey, owner of the Garden City Cafe in Valencia, has passed away.
    The word I got was he and his Wife were attempting to drive across a spillway on Palimpinon Road during the flash flood last night. The fast rushing water pushed their easyride truck into the river.
    Our sincere condolences go out to Mr.Harvey's family and friends.

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Our sincere condolences also go out to Mr.Harvey's family and friends.
    The message I just received is that their is also a child that passed away. I sure hope that is wrong.

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Our condoleances to those who are his family and near friends.
    What a terrible way having to leave your favourite place on earth.
    A lot of strength to his family.

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Update from a Police friend, It was Mr. and Mrs. Harvey and his mother in law. Luckily nothing about any child involved. Very sad news.
    Ron

5. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    very very sad...

rest in peace

6. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    I'm sincerely saddened by this tragic accident involving 3 losses of life, that could have been so easily been avoided. However, I completely fail to understand why anyone would try and cross that flooded spillway, in basically a flash flood, in an extremely light vehicle, in the dark?
    I didn't know the gentlemen in question nor the two ladies involved, but surely they must have known that exact same spot claims at least a life or more per year, during rainy season. My wife's cousin was injured there last year in an unsuccessful attempt to help two guys on a moped that got swept off there.
    Even the employees of the former P.N.O.C./ now Lopez Energy, who have been plying the roads there for over 30 years there, in 4x4 land cruisers, never venture through it in times of over severe overflow. (I know because I worked there for 5 years.)
    Again, I'm very sorry for him, his wife and mother in law and any remaining children, but.......

7. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    Sympathy for the family, what a tragic loss. Tonight is raining heavy again. Be cautious and careful, pull aside to wait out the rain.

8. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so sad to here news like these my he rest in peace!

9. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    May I add my sympathy to the family of Mr Harvey and his in laws
    Any loss in tragic circumstances is so hard for those left behind
    God Bless .....JB

10. peterrobann

peterrobann DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    flash flood

We were just able to pass the flood last Sunday using my pajero when we were on our way back to Dumaguete. Our companions had to tow each motorbike one at a time since it's only passable if 3 or more persons would unite to push the motorbike through the raging flood. A multicab was even able to pass through the flood considering the amount of rainfall during that time. But with the rainfall that lasted almost overnight could have been so big even my pajero could not make it. At night time it could have been impossible to see the markers of the overflow considering also that it might also have submerged. It might also have been possible that they slipped into the edge of the overflow. As far as I know, this river connects to the dreaded Ocoy River in Sibulan which is known for the OCOY (treacherous) effect of flash flood which I know since my childhood had caused lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.