Dumaguete Info Search

foreigners foul their own nest, greedy foreigners and paradise lost

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by yabs, Aug 24, 2008.

1. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    why is it that Mr or Miss Foreigner have a holiday in an exotic location like the Philippines, decide they cannot move back to boring falangland and decide to stay
    they like the weather, the cheap price of living, girls/boys and the tropical ambience and ability to find a beach which is not crowded like costa del sol.
    However said falang cannot retire properly, they don't have enough money and rather than get a proper job they decide to open a bar otr generally do business in the area they now call their paradise, or maybe they open a website promotingv their area.
    thing is he/she is not alone, everyone esle starts doing the same thing and the result is that only way said foreigners can survive is promoting and selling out their newly found paradise. Thing is said paradise starts to get tarnished and ends up being exactly the thing the forieigner was trying to get away from
    prices go up and only way falang can survive is to work even harder .never mind that said foreigner is supposed to be retired.
    this is happening all over the aear and to be frank is really pissing me off
    I work hard for 6 months of the year to enjoy my time off in the area
    i don't do business there and never will
    and guess waht when i retire which will hopefully be in a few years i won't work or do business there then also
    because guess what I don't foul my own nest.
    unfortunallty due to all said muppets in the area getting greedy my retitremement may be in jeopardy
    my advice to everyone
    don't retire until you can afford to and whe n you do find your paradise
    don't tell anyone, do not write a website on it or do business there
    leave it be
    that way areas will remain nice and less expensive for a lot longer

2. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hi Yabs, even thought I believe your comments are a bit strong and may be found a little offensive, I agree with you. As far as I'm concerned, I'm personally the kind of guy that leaves things as they were and truly respect the locals and their ways of living their lives, yet You're calling me a falang.....:(

3. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I speak my mind
    I find what many foreigners do offensice as well
    they want to take work from locals and make big bucks
    this website is a prime example of what I'm talking about

4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Are saying that foreign investment and new business activity is a bad thing? Anywhere else in the world, people would consider that good for the economy and good for rising standards of living. However, rising standards of living for the locals means less "bang for the buck" for foreigners living there on a fixed income.

The U.S. economy proves this model works well. Small business is the engine that drives the economy and creates the most jobs. More jobs and business economy creates tax income which can in turn be used to improve the infrastructure. A better economy creates more happiness for more people.

I am hoping to be moving there in September but I am at least 30 years away from any sort of state retirement income. To survive I will have to work though I will not be creating a business to serve the local population. I will likely work out of my home or an office and I will be dong all of my business over the web. I might even employ a local Filipino or two.

So, I guess you will have to share your paradise with me. :(

I won't tell anyone about it, but you will have to kneecap the person who talked me into moving there. :D

5. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I am not referring to proper businesses run by succesful people back home but the likes that have moved into thailand in particular
    so the area is swamped with low quality expat restaurants etc
    In dumaguete we have excellent restaurants like Casablanca and Why not
    these are good quality. i have nothing against these but its the
    people who move here and build a bar or restaurant without having
    any idea as to how to run a business back home let alone in asia.
    This post is mainly about whats happened in thailand but could easily happen
    in the Phils as well

6. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Ok, Yabs. I understand. And perhaps if I were there right now to see what you are referring to then I would agree. :wink:

7. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    This website is a prime example of what I am talking about though

8. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    You really think this website is responsible for people moving there? My Uncle lives there and he was lured in by a possible business idea from someone who has lived in Dumaguete for a very long time. My uncle told me about it and I will be there just as a way to try something different than the U.S. and because I can work from anywhere.

Both of us found out about DI after we decided to move. I have no idea what Dumaguete is like and this website really doesn't do much to help me with that. I think the best value of the website is for expats to have a place for conversations among expats there.

I think the websites you really need to target are those that are more related to travel.

9. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    What I liked best about the expat life is that if a guy was good company and occasionally shouted a round he was accepted. Nobody cared how you made your money or who you slept with. The locals had their own way of dealing with bad actors and abusers.
    This is a great web site. I really appreciate the input from locals as well as foreigners. It shows that Dumaguete is a place people really care about. For many years my home was wherever I set my suitcase down. Now that I am looking for a place to retire it is good to see that the vibe I picked up on my visit years ago is going strong.
    Thanks Dane and Roodie. I look forward to meeting you guys and it will be my shout.
    Kenny

10. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I believe that this forum had a big contribution for many foreighners coming in there ...year ago when i search in the google or yahoo about lots, Philippines, nice places in philippines etc …dumagueteinfo always on top…then when I try to look the forum many good infos about dumaguete.It’s promoting dumaguete in another way(than any other travel website) because members in the forum also contributes many experiences they have while having a holiday(or while living there) there and neighboring places....with their testimonies, pictures they shared it becomes very strong and reliable in attracting people to come there.My auntie who is living in dumaguete really said years ago dumaguete still very peaceful (she considered it ..most peaceful city in philippines)and nice place to live , no high crimes as like now.But because of very fast development .... flocking many foreighners ,businesses…criminal from other places also coming in aside from that…. many problems the city than before.Well that's part of the development.