Dumaguete Info Search

Former Military Disappointment

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PatO, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    The thread is closed but I have one final comment on challenging a person's military background. I don't want to start a s%#t storm but one of you former Special Forces guys on the forum should have had Tony's (Boricua) back on this. Marines and I'm sure Seals would never leave a brother hanging out there like that. Shameful.
    As for you never in the military guys wanting to be relevant by commenting, you have no idea, it doesn't resonate with you.

2. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    FWIW, Special Forces guys can themselves be quick to ask someone claiming to be ex-SF to essentially prove it.

Just to weed out the posers...

Someone telling the truth wouldn't mind the challenge

(Or is that poseurs?)

3. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    In fact, one of the questions I posted came from one of the ex-SF guys here in town.

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Had some guy here the other day tell me he used to be a Navy Seal, can you believe it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    This is a site that might be of interest to all the VietNam era ex-military. Lots of "BS" out there about us and that conflict. I have found this to be a good reference.

http://www.vhfcn.org/stat.html

6. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
  7. boricua

boricua DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I told the truth, provided proof and still mind the challenge. There could have been a more diplomatic way of trying to verify my claim, such as "Hi, what group where you in and what years? Maybe we served together." I belong to a support group of former combat vets and we have one former Marine who happens to be a former Sgt Major and vet from the Korean and Vietnam conflicts. He said something that I have taken to heart. "I have no interest in reliving my military experiences. Don't ask me about it because I will not respond. It was bad enough having to experience war, I do not need to constantly relive it." I am proud of my military service in the Army and proud of being a member of the 7th SF. That said, I am much too old to be obsessed with my past. I'm looking forward to continuing my retirement in the Philippines and look forward to my future.

8. boricua

boricua DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, surfinUSA, you are the one that twice questioned my credentials. Hope you are now satisfied.

9. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Boricua, on this forum there is the occasional irrelevant person who will put their nose in other person's business and poke you in the eye. The good news that it is a very small percent and posts from other posts are both positive and interesting.

Look forward to meeting you when you arrive.

10. boricua

boricua DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks! My g/f and I will be visiting in early Dec. I'm trying to convince her that Dumaguete would be an ideal place for us to live. I look forward to meeting you and some of the other members. Best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.