Dumaguete Info Search

Forum Update/New Logo Concept Art

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Rye83, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm seriously considering a forum upgrade. We are currently using vBulletin 4.2.1. I have been considering an upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect. The upgrade integrates much better with social media, has an overall better feel and a much cleaner look.

Here is the VB5 theme I am considering. Please note that the link is a blank slate and not even close to being a finished product.

Link: vBStyles - Premium vBulletin Skins, Themes and Templates

You can play around with that a little bit to get a feel of vb5. I have little (read: no) experience with forum software. This is something I have to learn how to do and I won't attempt it until I am certain I won't screw it up and lose everything. Might take awhile before I feel comfortable enough to give it a go.

For the logo I have 3 concept drawings I am working from. I am making some adjustments so if it doesn't look just right....well, that's because it's not.

View attachment 11773
    View attachment 11774
    View attachment 11775

The second one the best font candidate. The gecko needs some adjustment. How to make a gecko and it's tail look like a "D" is a problem.

Attached Files:

2. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    The third one get's my vote, the gecko on the second one is to "open"...
    How about using some orange and yellow elements anyway, all blue tones are hard, gentle people are soft hearted... Diba...

3. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    What about the geecko up side down looking to his right forming the vertical with the tail forming the loop??

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think blue means different things to different cultures (I hate the current color of this site/forum). To me a light blue is a soft/gentle color...orange/peach is ugly and brings up negative thoughts (I have no idea why). Dark blues are "hard" colors IMO. Since most of my traffic comes from the Philippines, US and Australia I think going with blue will please the most (google "favorite colors of the world).

Given the age of most people looking to move/vacation to the Philippines I think it's a good idea to avoid orange. Or perhaps I'm over thinking it. lol

I am having the gecko in the second picture sized down so there is not so much space in there and have a look then. I think mokum's idea of flipping upside down and canting the head to the right will make it look more like a D as well.

5. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    "Half the lies I tell aren't true."
    An other suggestion Wrey:
    I would leave out. People may get confused!

6. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The first and third look pretty much the same to me; but like that style better than the second one. I think it is a great idea to use a gecko as most people remember a trip to a tropical country by the geckos.

I took a few Korean friends to Thailand years ago on fishing trips and they had almost as many pictures taken of geckos and lizards as of all the fish we caught.

Shawn

7. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I wondered about the Filipino gecko....seems most refer to what we call Anoles(common Fla lizard) as geckos. Then I think baltoed referred to a Tokay which is what I see more as a Gecko. I guess because were my Marie lives being more developed I have never seen a Tokay but plenty of Anoles. Anoles don't seem to control Palmetto bugs, but 1 Gecko will clean house.

View attachment 11788

View attachment 11790

Attached Files:

8. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4

Attached Files:

9. tomtorific

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Well that's odd....usually it will upload the pic and not just the link.

10. tomtorific

Ratings:
    +108 / 30