Dumaguete Info Search

Found out Dgte resident friend's been robbed twice

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by ViperACR, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First time he just took out about P150K from an ATM, and the robbers stopped him and his wife on their way back to their parked car pointing at the demanding the purse with the money in it. I'm assuming the robbers were armed.

Next time he's heading home late at night out towards Batinguel in a vehicle, when two motorcycles pull ahead of him and try to get him to stop. He keeps going, and the robbers start shooting at his car!

Speaking of Batinguel.. a Norwegian friend there woke to find 2 guys ransacking his house. They'd made their way to his bedside where they got a camcorder and cell phone. He awoke to find them right next to the bed!

2. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    P150K is awful lot of money to be taken out of an ATM, aren't there supposed to be a cap on maximum amount of money that can be withdraw from an ATM at any one time? I would advise anyone planning on taking out large amount of cash to do so discreetly from inside of a bank & not off an ATM not only in Philippines, but anywhere.

3. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12

Robbers that climb houses,muggers,and all sorts are worst and frightening threat than NPAs .

4. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Scaremongering or not...

Just to put things in perspective...

people get robbed all over the planet every bloody day, and I think it is a lot safer here than in many of the western countries. New York has a murder how often?

When reading these reports and stories, just remember to put tihngs in perspective. Just because there are a few bad apples does not mean the sky is falling in Dumaguete - These bad apples are everywhere...

What worries me more is the open extortion done by local government on divers in the area. If ever we get hassled for diving or snorkeling in front of our house, then I will probably take my bat and my ball and find another playing field... (this is from the dive forum)

I don't know what your agenda is, but it seems like there is a scary story about Dumaguete from you on a daily basis...

5. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You're absolutely right Dane! You're speaking of factuals. In many cities in
    United States crime is so rampant. Every day you hear news about invasion of homes, robberies, murder even relatives kill each other, burning people alive, etc. etc. To top that, crazy people are massacreing people, they ought to be put away in an asylum. I agree with you Dumaguete is still a lot safer than in many western countries, and not only in western countries that to include (Philippines), in Manila, Cebu, and many other big cities in the Philippines.

6. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    How about starting/taking polls with the local residence on how they feel about safety in Dumaguete?

7. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're definitely not putting things in perspective.

Comparing the overall number of murders that occur in a city of well over eight million people, to the number that occurs in a city of a little over one hundred thousand, is a grossly unfair comparison.

To put things in proper perspective, you would have to compare the per capita murder rate in both cities--the number of murders per 100,000 residents.

The Philippines as a nation, consistently has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the world. According to Interpol, the Philippines had the second highest murder rate in the world one year in the mid 90's --a rate many times higher than the USA, which was well down the list.

The Philippines murder rate has been consistently higher than the USA's for many years.

8. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I think I am putting things very much in to perspective, of course you can't put the 874 murders in New York City in 2005 straight here and say well we only had 800 murders, so we are lower, I of course mean proportionally with the size of the city.

The other post about gangs in Dumaguete, maybe there are a few 16 year old punks who thinks they are a gang, but does that compare with the real gangs in LA or NY?

There are places in these cities you would not even go in broad daylight, I certainly can't say that for any place here in Dumaguete.

9. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First of all, your figures are incorrect. There were 539 murders in New York City in 2005.

Second, you're still not putting things in perspective. Policing a city of over eight million people is far more difficult than policing a city of barely a hundred thousand. Do you have any idea how much land area NYC covers?!

Comparing NYC to metro Manila is a much fairer comparison. Anybody even vaguely familiar with Manila, knows there are MANY places where you don't go even in broad daylight.

Manila has an enormous crime problem, and overall is every bit as unsafe as NYC.

10. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Between NPA, Cripps, Bloods, and the drug dealers, I guess Dumaguete is not so gentle as one might think, huh? NOT. Sorry fellas....I grew up in LA, and such mickey mouse crimes wouldn't phase me a bit. I'd never take out that much money off an ATM nor do I go out cruising in middle of the night....Anyone doing that regularly is asking for trouble---I don't care where they're at.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.