Dumaguete Info Search

Fresh coriander/cilantro

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by reedee, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Has anyone see fresh coriander/cilantro anywhere around town? If so, could you kindly tell me where? Thanks!!

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Coriander is sometimes available at the market, sometimes not

It might help if you look for "Wansoy", the local term for coriander as much as I know

3. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wansoy

Good to know another name for it!! I actually saw cilantro in Manila at the SM hypermarket, figured if they had it there I would be able to get it here. When you say "market", are you talking the public market downtown? I was even thinking of trying the vegetable market over by Holy Child, whattaya think? Someone told me there are people around who grow herbs....now, there is where I might find some, if only I knew how to find those people!!

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I don't make differences in markets, that's for me all the same complex, sorry my ignorance.

I am not sure if they also have it on the Weekend market in Bacagay, as there are mainly the farmers of Valencia and up there are some who grow herbs.

I might wanna pay Gig G from Casablanca a visit, he knows some herb farmers up there as he gets some of his fresh herbs there and visits with his culinary classes. DACA Herb Garden Field-Trip |

5. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks, Rhoody

You aren't ignorant!! It's probably me being stupid since I haven't been here long enough to see that the two are probably one and the same!! I sent an email to the DACA to see if they can steer me in the right direction....thanks for the info!!

6. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    They have cilantro (labeled as wansoy) at HyperMart as of yesterday.

Couple that with some avocados from the market and I had some lovely guacamole yesterday. Only thing it lacked was some fresh squeezed lime juice...

7. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I've found calamansi to be a good substitute for the lime in Guacamole.

I love that stuff, we got a Hass avacado tree in the front yard that I'm praying will fruit someday. It's 6 years old and from what I've read online, it should bear fruit anytime now...:rolleyes:

Wish me luck.

8. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I have been using bottled lime juice that I buy at Metro in Ayala Cebu. But, its not quite like fresh-squeezed. I have tried the "Baguio Limes" from Hypermart but you have to squeeze 6 of them to get any kind of juice...they are sooo dry!

I saw someone from Valencia selling "American Lemon" trees...I wonder how well lemon and lime trees would do here?

9. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    They grow in Florida, so I'm sure they would do well here if the soil conditions are right. They do need well draining soil in areas that get a lot of rain.

10. connoisseur

connoisseur DI Member

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Try the farmer's market located near the provincial hospital. There are lots of fresh herbs available there. :smile: They only sell on Wednesdays and Saturdays though, but they're open as early as 5am. Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.