Dumaguete Info Search

Friends of Harry Taylor

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by shadow, Aug 1, 2014.

1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    There will be a memorial service tomorrow, Sat, August 2, for forum member Harry Taylor at Garden of Saints. Harry passed away last year in the US.

Larry

2. jon

jon DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was a little shocked by this news, and surprised no one else responded to this post.
    I had been looking to find Harry some weeks ago. You know sometimes a friend pops into your head and and you wonder what they are doing now. Going to his facebook page I noticed there were no recent entries. Looking at his wife Ginas page , I saw her alone in pics with no mention or pics of Harry, and an add for a beach house rental in Dauin. My heart sunk. I researched a little more and found this reference.

I met Harry in Dumaguete in early 2006. We became fast friends as we shared a common interest in Radio Controlled modeling. We were both members of the Dumaguete Aeromodelers club. Harry loved flying, he had owned a company that manufactured large scale models in the U.S. it was well known as long as it was around in the late 1990's. We had known some of the same people in the industry as I had been a factory flyer for one of the major distributors in the Hobby back in the U.S.
    Harry was a soft spoken man and rarely took part in the forum repartee' as he had a sense of propriety and wasn't interested in idle banter. He was self effacing to a fault with never a bad word for any one. As a retired Aerospace engineer he was comfortably retired here in Dauin and tried to live a normal life as many of us did at the time. many of his friends were Filipino as they were his flying buddies in the club. But I would some times run into him after the McDonalds was built having breakfast with some foreigner friends as well. He had a large circle of friends and was a quiet big man. I'm 6'1" and Harry towered over be by a few inches I think.
    Even in those days his heart was giving him problems, so I assume he finally succumbed to heart disease. May you rest in peace Harry. I'll miss our building sessions and good conversation.
    Jon "David"

3. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I also met Harry around 2006. We then got to know Harry and Gina better when we processed her visa to go to the US. Harry was always a gentleman with nothing bad to say about anyone. Harry was a dual citizen, US/Filipino, and would sit and listen to foreigners cut down Filipinos without saying a word. A few years ago Harry and Gina joined us and a number of other forum members on a dolphin watching trip out of Bias.

It was a nice gesture of Gina to have a memorial for him here after so much time, and I regret that the timing was bad for us to attend. I am proud of Gina for remaining strong and getting on with her life, as Harry would have wanted.

RIP

Larry

[​IMG]

P.S. Harry's in the hat, the other guy is just hairy.