Dumaguete Info Search

FROM USA TO DUMA - MAKING AN ELECTRONIC LIST

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by nwlivewire, May 25, 2015.

1. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    GREETINGS!

I am creating my list of computer and electronic equipment and supplies to bring with me to Dumaguete.

I am all ears and elbows to get what I need before I arrive, so I can get set-up quickly and be ready to roll.

Background:

Will attend University for three years.
    I will be allotted 7,000 USD value exemption of customs import tax

Will have HIGH need for:

1. Computer connected to high-speed cable/internet (if possible)
    What work-arounds will I need if I cannot get or have to share internet?

2. Latop and thumb drives -same issues - same question as above.

3. Printer and ink - Do I even need to buy here in the States or can this wait?

4. All peripheral equipment needed to avoid getting them "fried" and dusty and anything else.

5. MagicJack - anything needed to go with this?

Of lesser importance, but would sure be nice to have:

6. Flat screen TV

7. OTHER????? Smart phone? I-PAD? Tablet? Something else?

QUESTIONS:

1. What types of peripheral equipment is needed:

besides surge protectors and battery back-up for computer, laptop, and printer. What else (no matter how trivial or small)?

What types of equipment specifications do these things need to have in order to be usable?
    For example: What kind/type of transformer or step-down?

What is/are the ideal and best features to have in order to make sure those piece of equipment will work well and LAST a long time?

What to avoid?

QUESTION 2:

2. I've read FLATSCREEN TVs are expensive in Dumaguete. Should I consider including one into the mix on this customs tax waiver?

If so, what do the specs on the TV need to have so it works properly and LASTS a long time?

QUESTION 3:

Is there ANYTHING ELSE (no matter how trivial or small) not mentioned that I should know about?

What I'm trying to do here is bring the electronic gear that may cost less here in the States and bring it with me so as to keep my Dumaguete "start up" costs down. Why pay more for an item in Dumaguete when I can get it here, right?

Of course, I'm ASSUMING I'll actually receive this trunk of stuff without it going "missing in transit", and that this trunk of stuff will arrive undamaged and be in perfect working order.

So how real is that scenario?

I'm making my list so I can buy a little bit at a time - watch for sales, etc.

Thank-you for your time and for your most thoughtful replies. Much appreciated!

V/R,

nwlivewire

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    1. Computer connected to high-speed cable/internet (if possible)

Internet is a problem in the Philippines. It will get you by but that's about it. Video chat is possible but streaming youtube can be slow going at certain times of the day (When the internet cafes start to get crowded).

2. Latop and thumb drives -same issues - same question as above.

Electronics are a bit pricey in the Philippines but not by much. You shouldn't have too much of a problem buying laptops or getting parts and accessories. There are several places in the mall that sell, or can order, what you need. Expect anything electronic to be about 10% more expensive in the Philippines.

3. Printer and ink - Do I even need to buy here in the States or can this wait?

Again, you should be able to find these no problem in the Philippines. You might have better luck buying a printer locally to ensure that they carry the ink cartridges.

4. All peripheral equipment needed to avoid getting them "fried" and dusty and anything else.

For a laptop I would recommend bringing along a cooling pad. It's not overly dusty in the Philippines so you shouldn't have to clean your computer more than you would in the US. A good surge protector would be recommended.

5. MagicJack - anything needed to go with this?

MagicJack is small enough to fit in carry on luggage. Bring it with you if you have one.

6. Flat screen TV

Flat screen TVs are significantly more expensive in the Philippines. If you are going to ship some stuff over I would recommend throwing that in the container.

7. OTHER????? Smart phone? I-PAD? Tablet? Something else?

You can find cell phone and tablets around every corner here (mainly Android phones). If you have Apple mobile products already I would have them unlocked through your service provider in the US and bring them along. I know nothing about Apple so it might be best to find out if they have the right radios in them (900/1800).

Question 1: If you want high quality surge protectors or batteries bring them along with you. You can find it here but things are more expensive. Same goes for any other type of high end electronics. Making things last in the Philippines is a task because of the unreliable electricity. You will have lots of brownouts (resulting in a lot of sudden on and off cycles). UPS are expensive and heavy but I think they might be worth the money. I'm not sure if you can find them in the Philippines or not. Maybe someone else can help out with that. (UPS=Universal Power Supply=A battery that will keep things on for around 15 minutes giving you time to safely shut down electrics)

The one thing I have had problems with is cell phone chargers. If you have a cell phone that takes an odd voltage/amperage charger bring a few extra along with you. Most everything sold here charges on .5A or 1A. I had a tablet that needed a 2A charger and it is not easy to find in Dumaguete (even at the store that I bought the d*mn thing from). For some reason the chargers (and cables) simply don't last long.

Question 2: Covered this above. If you already have it and you are shipping furniture/house hold items in a container then it's best to make room for the TV.

Question 3: This is a personal thing. I didn't bring anything with me (minus gaming consoles) and I have no problem living life. The biggest thing I see people complain about in Dumaguete is the access to Western foods. There are some items here and there that people ask for but they can usually be found in Dumaguete or have an alternative available locally.

I am aware of one expat that shipped his stuff over here through containers. He had some issues but I believe it did end up arriving. @filmguy is the member I'm speaking of, he hasn't posted for awhile but maybe this mention will get him to come on and share some information with you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hans Boot

Hans Boot DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +165 / 27
    Not sure if Wrye has covered it in his responses, but any type of electrical equipment you simply plug in at home is a no-no here. US has (as far as I know) 110V while over here it's supposed to be 220/230V (give ot take). A flatscreen will fry in an instant and so will a printer or PC that operates on 110V. Another (possible) difference is that here they use 60Hz. Not sure what is used in the US, but be careful. Transformers (for cellphones etc) and other electrical machinery will have a shorter lifespan if they are made for 50Hz.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's true but almost all newer electronics equipment are capable of dealing with the voltage difference. Almost anything produced in the US will say what voltage and Hz it can handle on the charger/plug. Exceptions to the dual voltage would be common kitchen/bathroom appliances. Most of those are designed to work on a single voltage output. Better to leave those at home and buy locally. :thumbsup: I have one converter in the house for my xbox, all other electronics (including two new laptops and a cellphone) I bought in the US can operate on the 220/60Hz in the Philippines.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

Thank-you for posting all this information.

As you may have gathered, I am not a computer nerd. Just your everyday, baseline end-user/abuser.

So anything you write about this topic, PLEASE assume I have a simple, basic knowledge level.

Because that's the truth of where I am with this.

So thread poster, please include all basic information, no matter how small, or trivial it may seem to you.

Believe me, you'll help me and others who may pass upon this thread.

I am NOT shipping a container to the Philippines.

Since I'm only going to be here for three solid years, I simply cannot justify the costs.

HOWEVER, what I was thinking of doing is the following, and need some serious input with this idea.

Or any other recommendation you have that could work.

I'm thinking:

IF I buy a foot locker or two (three at the most), then I wonder if I can fly those footlockers with me when I arrive to Manila to begin the Courtesy SRRV process?

I know I'll get hit with excess baggage charges from the airlines.

But I wonder if I can get them into the country without having to pay additional taxes on them, too?

I'm just coming with a couple of suitcases, so it's not like I'm coming with a lot of stuff like a rock star.

Is this possible to simply bring two or three footlockers with me as extra baggage and get them through customs without having a big deal made over them and getting taxed to death?

Remember, when I get off the plane in Manila, I won't as yet have my Courtesy SRRV and it's tax waiver.

I'm just trying to figure out a "work-around" for this kind of scenario if this be the case.

I'll for sure have a better "chain-of-custody" on these footlockers by flying them with me, too.

What's the real deal on this piece of the puzzle?

I'm not an Apple user, so everything coming over will be the regular MS and non-Apple stuff.

I'm planning on getting a GoPro Hero4 and some extra stuff for this video camera. It's a very small and versatile piece that is light weight, and easy to carry/use.

If the GoPro can do what I think it can do, then this will eliminate the need for still photo camera/equipment and open up space in a footlocker for this 2-in1.

Salamat!

V/R,

nwlivewire

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I brought a 23 inch Samsung TV with me last year from the UK and it is still going strong. In the UK we have 230 volts and 50hz, the only thing that wound not work is the sowing machine, because that's 50hz and PH is 60hz, devices that have a motor will run slower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It might not be worth bringing a TV along with you then. The price you pay for the excess luggage will be quite high. What you save from buying one here will be spent on the luggage fees plus your hassle of lugging that crap along with you. You could probably find a used one for sale cheap on Philippines ebay-like websites.

You won't have to pay taxes on personal items (at least not for what you would be bringing in). Just make sure you rip all the price tags off whatever you are bringing and tell them it is personal items (or balikbayan).

Yes but it is going to be a huge pain in the butt to lug all that crap around. If someone wanted to rob someone in Manila you would be a prime target. What are you going to do if someone steals something small from you? Drop all your stuff to chase after them having all that stuff you dropped stolen as well?

Personally I would much prefer to ship the stuff. I have had a very good experiences with Johnny Air. You ship it to them in the US (New York) and they ship it to the Philippines. They have offices in Bacolod and Cebu but once it arrives there you can work with them to have the stuff shipped to you in Dumaguete through LBC or other domestic shipping companies.

GoPros are tiny and could fit pretty much anywhere. Their main appeal will be videos, though they do take decent pictures (but you will have a bit of a fish-eye effect to the pictures - both video and picture wise). I don't have one myself and don't keep up with the camera technology so I can't really go into much detail about. I just purchased a Sony Action Camera myself for recording motorcycle rides. The GoPro is quite a bit more expensive but if you plan on diving it is really the only camera on the market one should consider.

8. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I think you are over planning this. You will be living in Dumaguete long term, so get here with as little as possible and build up when you get here.

I'm a horrible person to ask though. I don't even have a TV. I'm using mobile data for my internet. I think a laptop and a cell phone are the only digital devices you need - get them when you get here.

I don't bother with surge protectors. I probably should, but work from many different places where I can plug in. I'm not going to lug a surge protector with me. I would rather just keep my stuff well backed up and my devices cheap to replace.

My next system probably won't even be a laptop. I'm eyeballing cheap Windows tablets with keyboards attached. MS has the Surface 3, but local cell phone providers have their own cheaper versions.

As mentioned, lugging a bunch of stuff is a pain. Find your apartment / house before you bother with bringing anything but the basics here. Then just get those items shipped or buy them here.

Personally, I didn't plan much at all. I had no idea what I was doing. I had a ticket into Manila and nothing more lined up than that. I had a laptop, backpack and small suitcase.

If I were to do it again, I would have just got a bigger backpack and left the suitcase. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear Wrye83:

WOW! Great ideas!

I will look into Johnny Air for sure! This sounds like an ideal set-up. I get the things I need while in the States, pack it in footlocker(s), leave them with friend, and then fly to Manila to get the SRRV.

As soon as I get the SRRV with the tax waiver papers, then I have my friend send the footlocker(s) to Johnny Air and they ship to me.

GREAT idea! I'll see what I can do to get ahold of them to see how to do this. They have a location in San Francisco, which is where I'm planning on flying out of.

No schlepping trunks to hotel in Angeles, Dumaguete and on and on. I SURE wasn't looking forward to that

Will make sure all tags are removed from new items before packing.

I'll fly into Manila, but go directly to PRA about 1 1/2 hours N/NW of Manila - Angeles City. I'll be in a "hold pattern" up there until PRA completes their process with me.

PRA said 30-45 days -which seems ridiculously long considering the tourist VISA is only good for 30 days.

I thought the GoPro to be handy when I'm in the water. I like to fish and snorkel. Don't know how to scuba dive, but willing to learn how. And some of the GoPro accessories will leave my hands free so I don't always have to hold it while filming. I can strap it to almost any part of my body (chest, helmet, forearm, etc), and could even strap it on the back of a dog or an elephant if I wanted, too. It can also be attached to cars, boats, bikes, trains, bobsleds - that kind of stuff for motion filming.

A still camera will have to come later. But a still camera is always a very handy thing to have.

nwlivewire

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Yes but then with the Visa waiver you get to 59 days. After that, you can Extend every 2 months for up to 3 years. So bags of Time. :wink:

JP :bag: :thumbsup:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1