Dumaguete Info Search

George Carlin How true

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by pfotoguy, Feb 10, 2013.

1. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    I was watching some of Georges stuff on you tube and I found this to be so true, not only in America but probably even more in the Philippines.

In one of his last concerts, George Carlin presented a bleak vision of American education: “It will never, ever, ever be fixed. It won’t get any better. Don’t look for it....The owners of this country don’t want that... The real owners, the big wealthy business interests that control things and make all important decisions. They own you. They own everything... They own all the big media companies. So they control just about all the news and information you get to hear.... They want more for themselves, and less for everybody else.... They don’t want well informed, well educated people... They want obedient workers, people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork...”

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Agreed, I have seen his shows at least once.

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I disagree. Carlin was an uneducated social critic who had no background to make such statements. Successful U.S. corporations only hire the best and the brightest. I would put the blame on youngsters spending too much time on useless TV shows and PC gaming and not enough on their studies. It would not surprise me if Carlin was a die hard communist. Just my LTHO.

4. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Sorry "Pat" but I fully agree, it does not matter who said it, uneducated or not, it's true, just open your eyes...

Do you really believe that a world with only educated people would go anywhere far...

Not that we (all of us) are going any much further anyway the way we are abusing our only Planet...

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Not every business needs everyone to be a genius, some followers are needed

Having run my own small business for over 40 years, I originally wanted only the smartest and most initiative people to work for me. Soon I realized I needed not only smart leaders, but good followers also. People who would do the routine jobs, and be happy with that type of task without bitching always for more. Actually I needed more followers than leaders. Like a good mix of concrete, with its cement (finest particle size), sand and aggregate size (larges particle size) particles necessary to make it strong, a business has a needs for people of all types of levels of initiative and brain power to be successful. Not everyone needs to be a genius, because then each one will have their own perfect and conflicting answers.... "too many wise cooks in the kitchen, spoils the soup." Thank God we are each made differently, with different personal characteristics. Just my thoughts......

Just think if your wife was a genius and was always right... what would that make you?... yeah a husband. O-|.. hahahaha Even in a marriage, there needs to be a leader and one who accepts the decision of the leader, and that role probably changes with the area of decision making and the various areas of expertise of the two partners.

6. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Education isn't the only answer. If you think about it, it is just rehashing the same thing over and over. The ability to think for oneself is as important, if not more important than education.

Lazy parent who looks to the education system as a glorified baby sitter instead of getting actively involved are as much to blame as the education system itself.

As a past employer, I valued employees who could accurately follow directions, as well as think for themselves instead of bugging me about ever last detail.