Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Globe Router with WIFI

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by PatO, Oct 8, 2015.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Maybe some of you are aware of the following, I wasn't. If you use Globe as your internet provider, you can request their router with built in WIFI. After having my 3rd WIFI fried by lightening, I went to the iStore to replace my 4000p Apple WIFI for my Apple MacBook Pro laptop. Very fortunate for me that they were out of stock so the sales lady asked if Globe was my service provider and suggested I request their combo router/WIFI. Went to Globe today and will have their new combo tomorrow morning.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Good to know. What are the fees involved if any? Install/rent etc...

3. Miguel

Miguel DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +109 / 39
    Well, I thought all Globe routers have wifi. At least I have, since 4 (?) years :cautious:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They are giving out a modem and router combo. My old Globe WiMax modem did not have a wifi router built in. The new Globe LTE modem does have the modem-wifi combo....and it's complete sh*t. It has horrible signal strength and my computer constantly losses signal then I have to reset my computer or the wifi itself to be able to reconnect. (Though this could be a Windows compatibility issue because if I boot into Linux it does not have the same issue...but I get worse signal with Linux so I might not be able to connect at all from the bedroom which is 20 feet away from the router...walls or not, that shouldn't be an issue.) This issue does not exist with either of my other two linksys routers as I get about 75% signal strength with them. I also have problems when I run either of my personal wifi routers (used as a media network to stream movies to devices over wifi). It doesn't matter what channels I am using either....if it is on the Globe wifi is completely useless.

Another problem I have with Globe's crap equipment is that it is password locked and you can't change the name of the network or the password, which I like to change at least a couple times a year. I'm sure you could figure out the password by doing a search on Google but it's bad practice not to give users the ability to change these things unless they break the law.

FYI: What is the difference between a router and a modem?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I was never offered just a router,it was always a wifi router and yes they are Chinese crap. I asked them to set up a router from the UK once they had no clue whatsoever what they were doing! These guys are only trained (brainwashed) to use the globe (Chinese) crap.
    I'm also we can change the password but not the user name! When we fist signed up with them they have is a small card with all the login details.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The internal parts from your "UK router" (and pretty much everything else you touch) very likely come from China and many of the basic circuit boards are produced in the Philippines. The difference is we demand some standards from these Chinese factories.
    They have absolutely no training in setting up a network. They can run a cable, point an antenna and plug something into the wall (if you're lucky) and that's about it. They told me it would be better if I used their WiFi-combo crap....that was a lie so they didn't have to call one of the few that work for Globe that actually have a clue to walk them through the setup. I knew this but thought "how bad could it possibly be, even a crap WiFi router should be usable in this day and age"....well, turns out I was very wrong.
    They gave me no such thing. I don't think it would matter for me as I need access to the admin settings of the router to set up my media network. They also block certain ports (pretty much all of them) on the modem side which screws me on remotely viewing my CCTV. That dynamic IP crap ISPs here (and most other places) also screws with my CCTV setup. It's time the world moves over to IPv6.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Fees no different than what I am paying for the stand-alone router. No installation fee to switch units.

8. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    I just got Globe internet (5 Mbps) installed in my condo here in Dumaguette about 3 months ago.

What you get is a device made by a company called 'Huawei' that is both a modem and a WiFi router all in one.

The modem / WiFi unit is called T@ttoo .... Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

9. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    BTW ...... Do you want internet speeds in the 25 and above Mbps range while living here in the Philippines?

If so, you might want to read what this guy did on the cheap >>>

Here at last! — Live in the Philippines

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Globe came out to install my router with wifi. The first thing they told me was my existing Globe router has wifi, what's wrong with it. Turns out the last Globe installer merely hooked up my old wifi to the router and didn't tell me the router had wifi capability and didn't go through the wifi installation. Only taken 5 years but now I know.

• Like Like x 1