Dumaguete Info Search

Goggle Earth

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Sky6king, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky6king

Sky6king DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Folks, you can now goggle earth dumaguete!!:D

2. Malfeis

Malfeis DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks Sky6king

Tried it last night with my wife. According to here, the pic must be at least 4 years old.

3. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    you could google earth Dumaguete before, the difference now is high resolution satellite photos down to 3 meter resolution. Even in the U.S. the photos are often years old, it depends on the location, land stat imagery and other sources available.

4. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yes. My house project is not started on these pics. I started january 2005 with it. I think the pics is early-mid 2004.:(
    An update with 4 years old pics??? Not to impressive.

5. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well. It is a difference that pics not are changed in 4 years, from that 4 years old pics are fronted as an update.:o

6. OP
    OP
    Sky6king

Sky6king DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Updated pics not important

It's ok as I am only interested in familiarizing with the street layout as it was when I was there in 2000 anyway.:D

7. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    BL, you're right. As you can see, they are made between July untill October 2004

Attached Files:

8. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    As I said, Google does not take the photos, but relies on available satelite images, high altitude aircraft. The good news is the streets of Dumaguete are easily seen as well as various permanent landmarks. I think it is a great improvement, especially in rural Philippines, as some areas of the U.S. are still in the old foggy resolution. Currently averaging 15 meters down to 15 cm in some selected areas.

I'm quite sure the U.S. government has great shots of higher resolution, but then those are classified still.:D

Considering the scope of contour mapping the entire globe, converting digital imagery into a seemless global image easily manipulated on an ordinary PC, it is quite mind boggling, I am sure they would love to update every new house built in Negros, but I guess they have a lot on their plate just getting high res around the world.

I don't think "real time" is in the near future. It is amazing what we now take for granted with regards to technology. 15 yeaqrs ago all we had was terra server.

Want a challenge? try finding commercial aircraft in flight, there are sites dedicated to this believe it or not. I have found two.

9. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    We dont disaggre that it is a progress in that we get high resolution pics.:smile:
    But when a update is done they should use as fresh as possible pics.To secure as long as possible in service time.That newer pics in this resolution are classified I doubt strongly.Classified spots are also normally hidden by "clouds" anyway.:smile:

10. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    in short they do, You think they re survey the entire earth every year? I didn't say pics a 15 meters were classified , only that higher res imaging certainly exists not newer dated material. Complain to google if it irks you so much, gee.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.