Dumaguete Info Search

Going to Hongkong by weekend, any practical tips?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by culumbinus, Oct 5, 2012.

1. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    I was told to convert currency at the airport instead of downtown, is this wise?

Anything else to watch out for?

Thank you much gals and guys.

2. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After we went, I wished we had taken some of the double decker buses on round trips to get a few low cost city tours.

We were lucky to be there in Dec a few weeks before Christmas, and were able to see The Nutcracker and the Chinese National Orchestra at the HK Cultural Center just down the road from our hotel.

Other than that, I can't recall anything important to pass on.

3. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Wear your life jacket!

4. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    If your bank does not charge you extra for the service, the best rate you get from an ATM in Hong Kong (airport or else)
    Depending on your budget you have a lot of options to stay in Hong Kong.
    On a low budget Kowloon is cheaper than Hong Kong.
    The cheapest and smallest lodging you find in Chungking mansion in tsim sha tsui (Kowloon) or Mongkok.
    The cheapest transportation from the airport to Kowloon or Hong Kong is by Citybus.
    Bus A 21 goes to Kowloon and cost 33 HK $ o/w, buy your ticket in advance at the airport or pay exact fare on the bus (no change)
    A r/t ticket is a little bit cheaper
    The bus rides every 20 min. almost day and night.
    There is information on the bus about the next stop, so if you know where to get off the bus, you may not have a problem to find your way

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    A good travel guide book to Singapore.

I purchased a book, Frommer's Singapore day by day for a planned Philippines' immigration required trip. . The best part about the book is that is has chapters:The Best best in One Day, The Best best in two Days, The Best best in three Days. It give a number of options, with very good uses of time for a short trip.Very easy concise little book. Prices on back US $12.99, Aus $1995, UK 7.99 I bought it about 2 years ago.... I think in Philippines it is 43,199 P ONLY ...lol

My apologies for a delayed reply... was reading the book...lol. and I am a slow reader.

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    If I went back to HK I would:
    1. Take the night boat from Central to Lamma Island seafood restaurants, great view of the skyline and great fresh seafood
    2. Go up to Victoria Peak during the day for a great view, if not too much obstructing pollution
    3. Take the train to Shenzhen China for shopping, about a one hour train ride to the border city
    4. For me, I would splurge one time and go to either Morton's Steak House or Ruth Criss Steak house in Central
    5. Walk around Kowloon, hasn't changed much in the last 50 years
    6. Get a massage in Wanchai, enough said...

7. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    1. Lamma Island has great restaurants, but the boat trip there is a hot potato at the moment. There is one boat missing and the crew are in the slammer.!!!
    2. Take a peaceful day trip to Stoncutters Island (it used to be a British Military prison).
    3. Have an evening meal on the floating restaurant at Aberdeen.
    4. Have lived in Stanley Fort and Central on the island, and Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon. Always preferred Kowloon.
    5. Take a one-off trip around on an old double deck London bus.
    6. Try the night market pavement restaurants behind Nathan Road in Kowloon.
    7. Check out "Bottoms Up" in Kowloon. It's a bar where all the walls are mirrors, and where they filmed a scene from the James Bond movie "Man with the golden gun". If Sunshine and Mi-Mi still work there I have never heard of them !!!!!!!!!!!
    8. Keep a very tight hold of your wallet in Wanchai....................

8. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016