Dumaguete Info Search

GoPro

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Rye83, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I just purchased a GoPro4 Silver the other day at the PX. It takes up to 4k video now. I don't have a screen at that resolution to actually see the difference but I guess it's there when they start mass producing laptops/TVs with that resolution. I also have a Sony Action Camera sitting at home that I haven't used yet. I will be comparing the two when I get back to the Philippines (and making some motovlogging videos for the website).

2. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

FANTASTIC News Wrye!

I've had my eye on the GoPros for almost a year now. And just about the time I think I'm going to get one, they come out with a "new and improved" version.

So I'm going to hold off until after this Christmas - March 2016 to get one. Same thing goes for the laptop and the tablet.

I'm hoping I can "marry up" everything so everything interfaces well, and also get some practice time in on what the basic things they can all do. I will really be a baseline beginner user/abuser with all this stuff, so I'm sure I will have my hands full!

That's why I have all these d*mn lists of things to do and have them broken down by the month. UGH!

I'm so excited about your getting a GoPro! I've seen some awesome amateur video from the Hero silver and black models, so I bet the your Hero will be a really fun addition for you to have and use.

About the only down side I've heard is that some of the buttons and features are somewhat awkwardly placed/positioned for those with large or pudgy fingers. But you can only make something so small and fit so much stuff on any one thing.

Congrats and let us know how it works for with and interfaces with what you have.

V/R,

nwlivewire

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The camera is pretty basic. Pick the video resolution and start filming. Editing the videos together looks like the hard part. GoPro has an app for Windows (and Mac) but nothing for Linux, which is what I prefer to use. The GoPro Studio looks simple but have yet to be able to do anything with it. Will definitely need to watch several tutorials online to figure it out. I have some video editing software for Linux as well but I haven't played around with it much either. I am fairly confident using Windows Movie Maker and I think that will be the way I go with it video editing.

I think the GoPro4 is overkill for a regular user, a GoPro 3 is all a person would need (plus it has a better battery life). As for the buttons: I didn't have any problems with them. They are easy enough to push (though they will be difficult for me while I'm wearing riding gloves). They are firm and you do need to hold them in for awhile but that's probably intentional so that you don't accidentally stop or start recording when you don't mean to.

I tested the battery life at 1080p "Superview" (whatever that is) and got around 1h 45m out of it. I will probably only record in 720p as I expect most of the videos to be viewed in the Philippines where the internet is crap and people won't be watching on Youtube on any higher resolution than that. Should be able to get around 2h 20m out of the camera in 720p. I will buy a couple extra batteries when I get back to the US for the longer trips. A couple 64GB SD cards will probably be a good idea as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thank-you for this information Wrye83.

Found this on the GoPro site.

Don't know if it's worth the price, but thought I'd put it under your nose.

http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/smart-remote/ARMTE-002.html

Delivers full remote control of all camera functions, including shutter, on/off and settings
    • Settings/Tag button allows you to quickly adjust settings or mark key moments while recording with HiLight Tag (HERO4 cameras only)
    • Up to 600’ (180m) range in optimal conditions
    • Enables control of up to 50 cameras at a time
    • Rugged design is wearable, mountable and waterproof to 33’ (10m)
    • 40% increased battery capacity compared to the Wi-Fi Remote
    • Built-in LCD mirrors your camera’s status screen for quick confirmation of camera functions and settings
    • Includes a key ring and wrist strap for wearing the remote or attaching it to gear

Note: The Settings/Tag button is compatible with HERO4 cameras only. - See more at: http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/smart-remote/ARMTE-002.html#sthash.d5sUJ07p.dpuf

That's the other thing I've noticed about GoPro - they are always adding new features and apps and accessories.

This is great, but sometimes if the person buys the lowest/basic model(which you didn't), the new widget may or may not work for that model.

Yeah. I figure the editing and creation piece is what's really gonna be my challenge.

I think everything I'm going to get is probably going to be all Windows and MS platformed. I'm just trying to KISS.

nwlivewire

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  5. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

Thanks for cleaning up my mess Wrye and reposting this in the appropriate thread.

nwlivewire

6. Miguel

Miguel DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +109 / 39
    Plz when comparing, write down what model of GoPro/Sony You are using. Both give basically same goodies, only in GoPro sits Sony's older censor :cool:

I have both/several, mostly use Sony's latest 'cause GoPro dont have anti-shake. Sony provides a basic edit prog PlayMemories (but I use Premiere). I like the GPS function which PlayMemories can neatly insert in footage.

Better shoot, save, upload with highest reso, YouTube anyway reduces quality.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Had a hero 2 for a few years now,it's a great little camera for messing around, another nice thing is the time lapse function on it.
    I will say a few people mentioned on the new hero 4 black is the 4k video is not easy to edit.
    Also make sure you get some good fast cards for it, I couldn't buy them here so had a friend bring me a couple from the EU.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I noticed that even on 1080p my computer is slow to convert them in the GoPro studio. I'm definitely going to need a cooling pad for my computer in the Philippines. It really puts a heavy load on a PC. I couldn't imagine how long it would take to convert the 4k video.

Edit: I think you are talking about the SD card. Yeah, the 64GB cards should be purchased online or in the US. Do not get the Sandisk "Ultra". I only read that warning after I bought that card. It works but my Linux machine refuses to read it.

9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Yup you need a very fast and powerful pc/laptop to convert 4k vid, it's pretty much the same as they use in the movies.
    I'm using the San disc extreme pro and ultra with not much difference between them.
    Finding any decent music is hard as used some copywrite stuff and had a warning or 2 from YouTube.

10. DavyL200

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Here's some great stuff by jeb corliss with a couple of gopros, great editing also!

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1