Dumaguete Info Search

Great diving and snorkeling place?

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Siops, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Siops

Siops DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Hi everyone,

We are planning 3 weeks in January in Dumaguete and south of Dumaguete.

Where to stay along the coast? Any ideas?
    We want a great snorkeling and diving plus a relaxed town with some evening life.

Any recommendation from you guys?

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not much interesting evening life around the snorkeling and diving areas. If you come during peak season (whenever that is for diving) you might have some other hotel guests at the resort bars to talk to. But all of the resort bars I have been to at night almost have me wanting to slit my wrists out of pure boredom....but I suppose if you are diving you shouldn't really be hitting the alcohol much at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    This goes back 5 or so years, so things may have changed. Apo island has the best diving that I have seen in the area. It's a a boat ride over and back. In rough sees, you will get wet. It might be worth spending a day or two to avoid the banca trip back and forth. I've never overnighted, but as I recall it used to be lights out at 8pm (or something like that) since everything is on generator power at night. Not much nightlife, but awesome diving. When I dove Apo I stayed at Talatta Dive Resort across from Apo. It's a less than 5 minute walk to Malatapay along the beach, which is where you catch a boat to Apo. There used to be a market there on the weekends. For any kind of nightlife, you will likely need to go to Dumaguete.

Another place across the strait is Pescador Island near Moalboal. You take the ferry from Sibulan over. Moalboal near the beach is an interesting place. There are probably 20 bars and a few dive shops. You get an interesting mix of people. With so many bars it never seems crowded. Back then it was a mixed crowd. It's not really an issue, because it's segregated by the bar. One place I've wanted to go is Oslob in Southern Cebu. It's known for whale shark encounters and there is diving at Sumilon Island.

Personally, I'd probably not setup camp in one place for 3 weeks, so pack light. A few nights on Apo, a few nights in southern Negros, a few nights in Moalboal. If you are flying into Manila, Sabang has some good diving and an interesting nightlife. The best dive there is Verde Island. It's a very good dive if the seas aren't to rough and the currents not too bad. Let us know if you come across some good dive sites.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    Siops

Siops DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Hey! thank you very much for the help. Apo Island and Cebu sounds like a good plan to me. Are there flights from Dumaguete already to Cebu? Where do you think i should go first?

5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Yes. Check the Cebu Pacific web site for the flight times and prices

6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Cebu Pacific Air currently has 1 flight from CEB-DUM and 2 flights from DUM-CEB. It's a turboprop, so there is a lower max baggage allowance (20 Kg + carry on). Another reason to pack light. Not sure how adventurous you are, but here is a thought. Take taxi from Cebu City to Moalboal. Stay there for a couple days. Take a bus from Moalboal to Liloan, Cebu for ferry to Sibulan. Actually the last Km or 2 is by tricycle to ferry station, last time I went. There are some interesting currents to see as you traverse the strait. Sibulan is 15 minutes north of Dumaguete and also where the airport is. You can get dive trips from Dumaguete to Oslob, weather permitting, so no need to stay there. Fly back to Cebu City.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    Taking the boat and bus to Moalboal is much quicker, and better views. It's a short boat ride, then two hours by bus to Moalboal from Sibulan.

Vs.

2 hours getting to Cebu by plane, then three hours by bus to Moalboal.

Moalboal checks all your boxes.