Dumaguete Info Search

Greek Salad at Why Not

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Daryl, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Daryl

Daryl DI Junior Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Went to Why Not today and had the greek salad. It was huge and excellent with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, capers, capsicum, olives and fetta cheese. Only thing to watch out for is the salad dressing. They tend to put way to much on for my taste. I will get this a lot on this trip but will ask for the dressing in a bowl or something so I can add the amount I prefer.

I also had a side of special fried rice. It was very tasty with fresh prawns but a little to oily for me.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1,089
    Had eaten that at Eldorado Resort in Dauin (Owner was owner of Why-not at the time) Agreed it's a good menu item. As I recall......... I ordered it when the Pizza ovens were down. Pizza's muh thang.

3. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Your Greek salad was not what it says on the Tin? having been to Greece a few times, I think I had the authentic dish there on many occasions, which consists of, Cucumber, Peppers, Tomatoes, Olives and lots of Red Onion, topped with a generous slab of Feta, (never crumbled into the dish as they do in PH, you get less that way) the dressing there which is always added by the customer, is Olive Oil and Wine Vinegar, have also been to Turkey a few times and they do it the same way.

As for Lettuce this is never present in any proper Greek Salad I have had, in my experience they only ever serve Iceberg in PH, this is not real Lettuce in my opinion, would you believe even a Rabbit will not eat it, now who would know better than them? having Rabbits for quite a few years I know this to be factual, in my opinion the King of lettuce has to be Romaine (I have bought and used this in PH, so it is available even in DGTE area) when fresh cut it has notes of newly cut grass and is full flavoured, on the other hand Iceberg has crunch and no taste, any self-respecting Chef that knows his onions would never this.

4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Reminds me of the Vegetarian Vicar.......He always started his sermons with "Lettuce begin" sorry for Rabbiting on Dave.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Reminds me of, someone went to the doctor with a green leaf sticking out of his bum..... doctor said its the tip of an iceberg.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    Daryl

Daryl DI Junior Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Agree with you on lettuce not usually in a greek salad but disagree on the rest. The dressing was vinagairette as you have in greece, it does come with onions but they make me ill so I had them make it without them. Apologies for not mentioning that. There was enough fetta for my taste. Crumbled or slabbed makes little difference to me.
    I am sure you could ask them not to include the lettuce, all the other ingredients you mentioned are in the salad.

7. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1,089
    Never made a good Ceaser Salad, but I am willing to take a stab at it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Oregano, an herb, that is also added to the Greek salad for an even better taste.

• Like Like x 3