Dumaguete Info Search

Greetings from SoCal

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cabb, Mar 10, 2016.

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Hi. My name is Del. I'm currently living in Southern California, but looking to retire in 5-10 years in Dumaguete. My wife of 15 years is originally from Bindoy. I've been to the Philippines about 9 times in the last 18 years and in Dumaguete about 5 times. I've come across this forum on multiple occasions doing searches on Dumaguete. I'm finding the "doing it yourself" from 8000 miles away can be very frustrating, so I've decided to join the forum hopeful to help some and to learn from some. I recently bought a house on the outskirts of Dumaguete, which I'm beginning to feel may have just been a huge mistake, since it was only 75% finished. Last summer I was in Dumaguete for the first time in 4 years and it sure is growing, at least there seems to be a lot more motorcycles and tricycles. : ) I also visited Boracay for the first time in 12 years and boy has that changed. Seems the Koreans have really taken a liking to some parts of the Philippines. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  2. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Welcome. I used to drive by the unfinished houses and wonder idly what the back-story was. Just run out of money? Have a falling out? Foreigner spouse die (god rest their soul)? Now I know one of them is probably yours!

I was born in LA. Lived in North Hollywood. Worked in Beverly Hills for a while. Haven't been back except for layover at LAX since 1988. So you are telling me it's still there?:smile:

3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Welcome aboard, Should not take much to finish your house up. Hope someone can hook you up with a very fair contractor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. DGTXPAT

DGTXPAT DI Junior Member

Trucker
    Ratings:
    +50 / 14
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Welcome...see you when you retire. I am stuck here in the States too until the Government gives the big bail out to the working class guys who paid for the last one !

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Got my first 25 posts in. :happy:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Congrats!

(Were you looking forward to using those negative ratings? :wink:)

7. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Thanks! In my case, it was a Filipino couple where where the husband used to work for a local Energy company and had medical issues so they couldn't continue the construction once he lost his job. I actually thought it was closer to completion. Rule #1, only buy expensive things you see with your own eyes or plan on working a few years longer. :wink:

Yep, LAX still here and thriving. Crowded as ever. Probably a couple million more people living here than in 1988. If you had bought a place in Manhattan Beach and rented it out you would have probably made a million dollars. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    How did you know?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just a hunch. :rolleyes: (Also pretty sure nothing else of significance happens at 25 posts. :wink:)

10. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    My avatar doesn't say "Popped the Cherry!" anymore. :cool: