Dumaguete Info Search

Greetings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by midway, Jul 13, 2013.

1. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    Would have said hello, but that has been taken.

My name is Craig and I am considering retiring in dumaguete or cebu. I am married to a wonderful lady who was my insurance agent 20 something years ago when I was stationed in Cubi Pt. I am sure that the retirement will not be for a few years but we are working for it to be sooner rather than later.

Being retired military are there any advantages to retiring here rather than Subic? I plan to buy a motorcycle and travel through the entire country, how much of a challenge is it to utilize the ferries to travel from island to island? I know that I will need to stay busy so I would like to know about learning to dive in the Philippines is it better, (not necessarily cheaper), to learn there or here in Virginia Beach?

What does everyone do to occupy there time, I will retire fairly young and need to do something to stay occupied other than riding motorcycles and scuba diving, what do you guys do? I was thinking of putting my education to work for me and teaching college but I do not have a masters, and probably will not when I retire. Any advice?

Thanks, Craig

2. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hi Craig! welcome to forum. Hope you'll enjoy your stay as to your question, this is just my opinion. If you plan to travel around the country I suggest you get a car rather than a bike because being in a bike in Philippines is just way too dangerous especially for long distance travel. Its easier to stop and take a break probably a quick nap inside the car, its more comfortable than being in the bike. as to your question about what the other expats here do to keep themselves active, you'll find many at boulevard from 7pm onwards. LOL. you're gonna get pretty good advices here. take care.

3. OP
    OP
    midway

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    I appreciate the advice about the car, however when I was stationed there before I traveled on a 1200 Harley and I still roll on 2 wheels today. I will probably also buy a car, just not for my main means of transport.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Welcome Craig.

There are no advantages for retired military here over Subic. The ferries are easy to utilize, and for the most part cheap for motorcycles, about one fifth what it would cost for a small car for anything under 250 cc or so. Bigger bikes have their own rate on some ferries and can cost quite a bit more. A motorcycle is a great way to see the Philippines.

I can't imagine it being cheaper to learn to dive in Virginia, there are many dive instructors here. I recommend Mike at Mike's Dauin Beach Resort;

Welcome to Adventure Dive Shop Negros Oriental Dumaguete City Philippines

Unlike most here, I am not retired so don't have much free time to waste.

Larry

5. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    HI Craige welcome , their is a good motor bike club here named Road Runners they have many trips around all Islands. My friend imported 2 harleys from USA and i think one is for sale .
    PM me is you want more onfo
    cheers

6. OP
    OP
    midway

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    Alex, I appreciate the offer but I am not going to be able to retire soon enough to justify buying a motorcycle that far away yet. I am more interested in what I would need to do to import a motorcycle though if you have any information on that. I apologize for not PM'ing you but I did not see how to do that on this forum yet.

Thanks, Craig

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Importing a motorcycle is going to cost you MUCH more than it is worth. Import duty alone is 100% of new value, and it cannot be over 5 years old. Some try to sneak them in as parts, and usually wind up having a VERY difficult time registering them.

Short answer, buy one here.

Larry

8. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    Craig ill pm you his name you can find him on face book,or you can look at TRIPLE B'BIKERS PARADISE DUMAGUETE just click on notifications top rite of screen. let me know if it dose not work

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I don't think Craig has enough posts to send/receive PMs.

Larry

10. OP
    OP
    midway

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    I would prefer to bring a motorcycle from the states with me as I have a much better selection here, the downside is if I bring something nobody carries parts for. I know there is a Harley dealership in Manila now, but they sure do think a lot of them there. I guess I will figure it out when I do retire. I will be coming to look around next year and get a feel for the place. I remember traveling around Luzon on my Harley a couple of decades ago but I am sure it has changed a lot.