Dumaguete Info Search

Grocery Shopping in Dumaguete City

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by The Dane, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    These last 3-4 weeks has been hard on us for grocery shopping here in Dumaguete City, it seems like Lee Plaza nd Hypermart sell out of everything we want, and never restock. Maybe thay had our favorite items before we moved here and we simply purchased all their stock and now our only option is to go to Bacolod or Cebu to shop.

Examples:

I was in Hypermart the other day(January 2 or 3), I wanted to buy some Pepsi X - a good cola for computerguys who work all night as it is very high on caffeine. I of course find the supermarket out of stock so I ask the staff in the soda area when I can expect a refill of their stock so I can buy some more Pepsi X... The reply was in FEBRUARY - how can it take a MONTH+ to restock soda...

Pesto - Yes this is an imported item, but when we got here there was a good stock of it, we have slowly been buying it all and the sock is now empty.

Danish dairy products - totally out of stock, I know for a fact that Denmark didnt stop producing dairy products, but shelves here are now empty and they have been for 3+ weeks. I still need my fix of Danish dairy products :smile:

Beer - what is it with these 2 supermarkets? They do not sell beer in bottles at all. You can buy canned beer, but I prefer bottles.

Meat is another thing I hope Robinsons will do right, Lee Plaza and Monteray are both switching off their freezers half the day to conserve energy - this means every time you go look for meat it is soft and half defrosted in the bloody freezer. Not healthy at all, you are not supposed to freeze - defrost - freeze - defrost meat 100s of times.

So for meat we buy in bulk and freeze it ourselves right now, but it limits our selection a lot.

None of these items are life and death important(well the frozen - defrosted meat might be), but they are certainly factors in the comfort level here.

2. Sumisid

Sumisid DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, the favourite words of Lee Plaza employees is "no stock"! :rolleyes:

Since about 6 weeks they have no more dry catfood. Well, not soooo important, but I really ask myself why they are not able to order early enough before they are running out of something. Same with Coke light, when they are out of stock, whole Dumaguete is out of stock including the resorts in Dauin.
    Consolation: Gaisano Supermarket in Bacolod has less variety than Lee Plaza!
    And: Let's hope Robinson will have a big supermarket in the future!

Beer: Buy it in Dauin at 3R store (it's on your way home from town :D ). Just before you reach Dauin proper, on the right-hand side. It's a bit dark with billiard tables in the front. In the back, they sell beer at bodega prices.

Good luck!

3. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I am expecting a lot from Robinsons Place Dumaguete. The area is just huge, it could fit, I guess two Lee Plazas and two Lee Hypermarts put together. I think they will have a lot as stocking would not be a problem as they have huge supermarkets in Bacolod and Cebu. They could just restock right away as operations in these establishments are already large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.