Dumaguete Info Search

Hard winter with more yet to come!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Jan 8, 2023.

1. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Just had my energy bill for December
    Although we are experencing fairly mild weather here in UK at present, I'm looking at far more costs for Jan/ Feb, than predicted by government sources.
    Despite trying to cut back on usage with all the so called "Tips and Advice" given,
    I am left wondering how some people will possibly manage through the rest of the winter.
    Thankful my wife and I can just about afford to avoid falling into a spiral of debt that some people will find themselves in.
    For the record UK expats, here's our December energy costs,
    Electric £165.42. and Gas £248.29. totalling £413.71.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  2. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Wow. Thats a lot. I live partly in Switzerland and the four of us pay about 85 GBP average per month. No gas bill, only electric. And Switzerland is an expensive country.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    482KWH seems a lot if you have gas central heating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. EandN

EandN DI Member

Ratings:
    +135 / 17
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Wow, That's outrageous. I wasn't overly happy with my 5,000 peso electric bill and approx 350 peso gas bill in December (about 80 quid total) but feeling better about it now. :banana: On a more serious note it makes even more sense than usual that anybody thinking of visiting the UK should go in the summer months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Well with talk of more rain and colder weather to come here UK, ( flood warnings ⚠ already in place in some area's )
    We are trying to avoid the high cost of energy by minimal use of gas heating, yes the thermals have come to the rescue!
    Will definitely have to consider finding a smaller place this summer or another option.
    Never checked our usage so often before this winter, but needs must. see below without add on's
    View attachment upload_2023-1-13_19-44-24.png

6. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Average electricity use for a family in Western Europe is around 200 kwh per month, plus 150 m3 gas for cooking and heating (having gas fired central heating/warm water).
    That's without solar panels or extreme insulation efforts, and for an average family home (meaning not a large stand-alone house, but with reasonable insulation and double glazing) while only heating the important parts of the house to 19/20 degrees C (not the bedrooms, unless the temperature there would go below 10-12 C).
    Obviously, being average use numbers, it doesn't make sense to compare with a single month. In summer gas usage will be much lower, and during a very cold month you'd use a lot more than 150 m3 of gas (never seen an energy bill stipulating gas usage in kwh though).
    On a yearly basis in the Netherlands you'd pay around 175€ per month at current prices for electricity and gas combined if you have a heater with a high efficiency rating.
    Obviously when you use electricity for heating (electric radiators and hot water boilers are notorious electricity drains), things will get more expensive.
    Other than that, yes prices for electricity and gas are not the same everywhere, mostly because of differing energy tax and subsidy policies in different countries. In the Netherlands and Germany there's a price cap in place that I know of, and the mild winter weather so far has helped quite a bit also, but that might change going forward.

7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Although a sample of one is not that statistically significant, in the UK I decided to leave my combination gas boiler on all day during the winter months - set at 23oC - and found my gas usage went down. In fact, in 2014/15, I was spending £1.53 per day on average during the coldest months (so about £350 per annum, including gas rings for cooking and hot water). I can't remember my electricity bill but it was below £300 p.a. - I used electricity only for the oven, small kitchen gadgets and lights.

I did not take into account wear and tear on the boiler as this was a rented house and so not my problem. But worth trying for those in cold countries, even if only for a month.

8. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    I noticed NMRN your yearly average was approximately £650 but that was 2014/15
    My bill for Dec; 2022 was over £400, that was high admittedly because I had my sister over for Christmas day and Boxing day, being older than me, I made sure she was comfortable.
    But to suggest leaving gas heating on all day, is not a good idea in 2023!
    This month we have deliberately reduced our heating to a minimum (3-4 hrs a day ) and our supplier has now said we are on target with our direct debit set at £271 for the rest of our plan.
    Thats a whole lot less than last month, if you are happy to sit there with your coat and hat on!
    I fully realise we are a lot more fortunate than many people here in the UK, especially those with children and the cost of living rises we are seeing.
    What I find it hard to comprehend that the British Government is doing nothing against the big Energy Companies such as Shell who have seen their profits double to Billions of Pounds while
    people in and around Europe suffer.
    I feel guilty to complain when I see how the people of Ukraine are suffering the atrocities of war imposed by Putin and his henchmen who created this situation in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Like many people here in UK. I'm trying to cut back on Energy usage.
    Many people are being forced to switch to smart meters, which until now have given the Energy companies the upperhand to control payments directly from D/D accounts.
    People are finding money taken out of their bank accounts, causing them to be overdrawn in some cases, while these Companies are creating even bigger profits from the current situation in Europe.
    View attachment upload_2023-1-23_16-32-56.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  10. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    View attachment upload_2023-1-23_18-56-11.png
    Dont where this saying comes from but.......
    "It's the same the whole world over and it is a cryin shame.
    It's the rich that get the pleasure and the poor what gets the blame"