Dumaguete Info Search

Has Anyone Imported a small boat ?

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by 415gem, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mabuhay , Hello my name is Kevin . I am a US citizen and coming to Dumaguete October 2007 . I own a Avon 12 ft inflatable boat ( like a zodiac ) and a 15 hp Mercury outboard and a trailer . I wanted to import it , anyone knowabout taxation and shipping companies in the RP`s . Thanks Kevin

2. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    its a nightmare if its shipped to the customs agent - I brought in a 20 foot fiberglass boat with a mercury 115 from japan and ended up paying over $5000 US in customs fees and undergoing countless delays and red tape hassles try putting it in an oversized door to door box
    or bring it as your check in baggage and put a $20. in your passport ; ) just kidding

3. OP
    OP
    415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CD , Wow bad news !!!

CD , Hello well I am a flexible person . I have heard that anything near that length ( 20 Ft ) is often thought to be a commercial vessel . So maybe why it was taxed so hard . The boat is only worth 2 K USD . I will not pay over 2 K to ship and pay duty on the vessel . I will bring my outboard if I can . Nothing like a good Mercury outboard . Kevin

4. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    here is my boat at the sand bar at sumilan ( 2003)

if it doesnt have a large fiberglass bottom you can put it in a dorr to door - usually no questions asked - to get the motor in one you could seperate it into 2 pieces and label it parts - no customs problems but you will have trouble registering it

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CD Thats a nice boat !!!

CD , Mine DOES have a fiberglass bottom , lite but ... that is the a majority of weight . Hypalon ... amazing material . Your set up with a great size motor is bad @ss ! My craft would be for limited use . Maybe shore runner . Yours looks like channel crosser , Apo , Siqiour , Moalboal . I like your vessel . Worth $ 5000 but that is a lot of import tax .Thanks for the reply and ideas on import . Could you find a similar boat to yours ... in Cebu - Dumaguete area ? Kevin

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Just for interest...There's a British guy on Bohol (Panglao actually) who builds a lot of fiberglass boats, of all sizes, in a small and well run factory. I've seen and ridden in some of his handiwork....and he does build them good. Wouldn't call his boats cheap...price is a little up there..but the quality is superb...

http://www.andy-smith-boatworks.com/

7. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm thinking of selling mine and getting a jet ski - I always dive and take trips with a pumpboat (gas is cheaper - holds more people) and use the fiberglass boat for waterskiing.
    The fiberglass body is sound, it needs some marine plywood work on the floorboard and the engine is getting old - there is also a running yamaha 85 and another one disassembled (for parts) - it has a high quality trailer made for a 35 foot US navy tender (i bought it at auction and cut the back off)

8. Sumisid

Sumisid DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We imported a Zodiac incl. engine in a Balikbayan Box (box was specially made, it was huge). No customs, went very smoothly. Took 3 months from Switzerland. But let me tell you, now we know that Zodiacs are not very durable in this climate. After 2 years the whole floor fell out because the glue between the rubber-parts melted (it was always in the shade under a roof). I recently talked to a guy which had exactly the same experience with his 2 Zodiacs.

9. Philippinediver

Philippinediver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Have small one built

Just go see Nigel. You can find him at Why Not just about every Mon, Wed and Friday Late morngin. He actually builds boats of all sizes. Large 45' catamarans as well as small 15 - 20 fiberglass boats. He is based in Tambobo Bay. Some of the ones you see at sea exploreres and Eldorado are his. The ones they use to go to the various santuaries. You can put a 40 - 60hp on them and they are quite fast and durable. If I ever get a beach lot I will be having one built. His prices are reasonable and of course if you have any problems he is right here to correct them.

I would go this route over a inflatable even a zodiac as they are very expensive and perhaps not condusive to life here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.