Dumaguete Info Search

Hassle-Free Resident Visa

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Sandcastle, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Sandcastle

Sandcastle DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Solution. If your wife is a Philippine Citizen or even a past Citizen of the Philippines, the best visa to obtain would be a Resident Visa.

You would fill out the application in your home country, in my case that would be Canada. I would take some simple medical tests and Police background clearance and send it in to a Philippine Consulate or Philippine Embassy within Canada, or your country.

It would only take up to 2 weeks for approval, usually within 1 week. Once approved, you will have 6 months to enter the Philippines......and live in the Philippines hassle-free for good. There is absolutely no need to leave the country on visa runs, no need to visit the Immigration office every 2 months, but once a year you are required to check-in at Immigration to say hello!

If you apply for a Resident Visa in the Philippines when you arrive(in the Philippines), it will cost more and take months to complete.

Please note that if your wife is a Philippine Citizen you will apply for a 13a Visa and if she is a former Citizen, you will apply for a 13g Visa. This is all part of the procedure for a Resident Visa.

I hope this is helpful to some.

Kind regards,

:smile: Sandcastle :smile:

2. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Sandcastle, that is indeed very informative. I do have a question for you though. Once you obtain the resident visa, will they give you an alien number like they do here in the States? And when you show up once a year at the immigration office, is that what you call "renewing" your resident visa and then pay for the renewal? I'm just curious about the whole process because we're also planning on retiring to the PI. Thanks:smile:

3. OP
    OP
    Sandcastle

Sandcastle DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Sheelah,

I'm Canadian so I'm sorry I can't comment on US Alien Numbers. Maybe you can find your answer at ( manila.usembassy.gov ) website.

My understanding is that there are no reoccurring fees on a Resident Visa. If someone has different information on this, please advise.

I just got off the telephone with the Philippine Embassy in Ottawa, Canada. I was told that after we are married in Bohol, to apply for a Non-Quota Immigrant Visa in the Philippines (not in Canada). I was also told that there are NO reoccurring fees every year. The cost is really cheap, only 150US. Possibly, there may be some hidden charges that I am not aware of. Nevertheless, a non-issue to be worried about. Fly...be free...and happy.... everything always works out in the end with a smile!

Kind regards,

4. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    that sound like a good deal - i'll have to look into it as I will retire near dumaguete eventually : )

5. rjmerit

rjmerit DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sandcastle, do you have a link to find that info on the web? I will eventually, probably this time next year or earlier, be moving to Dumaguette with my wife and when I looked at the web site for the Filipino embassy in the U.S. I didn't see any info on resident visas.

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    If you have a Filipina wife...she can always sponsor you on a spouse resident visa. You can even get Philippines citizenship eventually if you learn the language and meet the other requirements. Then you can vote and own land....It has been done...

7. OP
    OP
    Sandcastle

Sandcastle DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry for the confusion Rjmerit.

I telephoned the Philippine Embassy in Ottawa regarding the Resident Visa. The lady told me it is called a Non-Quota Immigrant Visa.

It is hassle-free with no reoccurring costs.

Rjmerit you can call 1 613 233 1121 at the Philippine Embassy in Ottawa regarding Resident Visa / Non-Quota Immigrant Visa.

One good site is livinginthephilippines.com

Kind regards,

8. rjmerit

rjmerit DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

9. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    to rjmerit:website about non-quota immigrant visa

I was reading through the thread and I decided to look into the LA Consulate website. I found this information regarding Non-quota visa.

C. Non-Quota Immigrant Visas

1. Spouse of a Filipino citizen (13-a)

If the application is made by a Spouse of a Filipino Citizen, the following documentary requirements must be submitted:

Two copies of a duly-accomplished visa application (F.A. Form No. 3). Application forms that are incompletely filled-out will be returned to the applicant.

Valid passport (the original passport itself must be submitted) whose validity must extend at least six (6) months beyond the length of proposed stay in the Philippines.

Four (4) 2" x 2" size photograph taken within the last six (6) months. The applicant’s signature must be affixed on the front side of the picture.

Medical Certificate (F.A. Form No.11) accomplished by a local physician. All supporting documents must be submitted in triplicate (three copies). A Chest x-ray plate (life-size) must accompany the certificate, together with the results for the following tests: 1) stool (ova/parasite and occult blood); 2) urinalysis; and 3) complete blood test (blood serology and chemistry).

Local State Police clearance obtained within the last (6) months. The original and one (1) photocopy must be submitted.

Proof of financial capacity (e.g. travellers cheques, latest print out showing statement of credit card account(s), latest print-out of bank account statements, ownership of real estate properties, and other documents showing the applicant’s capacity to financially support himself/herself during his/her stay in the Philippines)

Personal appearance of the applicant for an interview by the consular officer.
    Payment of Immigrant Visa Fee of $150.00

A duly notarized letter from the Filipino spouse requesting or petitioning the issuance of an immigrant visa to his/her spouse. The original and a photocopy must be submitted.

Proof of Philippine citizenship of Filipino spouse (e.g. Philippine passport or Philippine birth certificate)Marriage Certificate, both the original and a photocopy.

2. Unmarried Children under 21 years old of a Filipino citizen (13-a)

Same as requirements (a) to (h) above (requirements for spouses of Filipino citizens)

Birth Certificate of the child or a certified true copy thereof.

Proof of Filipino citizenship of a parent such as current Philippine passport, birth certificate or baptismal certificate, etc.

Sworn Statement of Financial Support executed by parent

Visa Fee is $150.00

3. Natural Born citizens of the Philippines who have acquired foreign citizenship (9-g)

Same as the requirements (a) to (h) in item No. 1 (spouse of a Filipino citizen).

Proof of former Philippine citizenship such as expired Philippine passport, birth certificate or baptismal certificate, etc.

Naturalization papers

Visa Fee of $150.00

I guess if you want to learn more, here is their website: Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles

I hope that you will find that website informative. And Sandcastle, thank you for sharing that piece of information with us:smile:

10. rjmerit

rjmerit DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Sheelah. I'll be checking it out.