Dumaguete Info Search

Cebu Have to move to Cebu or Manila to eat healthy?

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by onlymichael, Sep 26, 2012.

1. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have had to give up many of the healthy foods here in Dumag. due to prohibitively high costs including: cherries, berries, walnuts, almonds, olive oil. Most healthy foods I used to eat are not imported and running 2-5 times cost in USA.

Further in the several stores we have shopped it is impossible to find any processed foods, including bread that is not laced with high sodium content and/or sugar. Salt can raise BP and sugar is a no go for anyone with glucose problems (diabetes or pre-diabetes). Also they have not caught on to using cooking oils that are healthy, non-hydrogenated oils, etc.

Omega 3's can be gotten from fish, but fish is high in phosphorous another thing I have to avoid.

I am reduced mostly to eating fresh vegetables and lean meats. Healthy snack foods and bread is not available. French bread comes closest, since it is low/no sugar but contains little fiber. (suggestion for someone so inclined: start a health foods store in Dumag).

Most of the tropical fruits here (most of them) are high in sugar and have a high glycemic index, bad for diabetics. I have found one that may not be: tambis, but the taste is really not that great

Forget restaurant food, usually loaded with sodium, good for putting your BP up high.
    There is one vegetarian restaurant in Robinsons mall.

Guess I have to live in a big city to find a better selection of foods, this is the one thing about the USA that I miss alot. I was living in the USA within 1km of three major supermarkets such that my good bill was less than it is here and I was eating very well.

If anyone knows of a place to buy low sodium, low sugar bread and other healthy foods, please advise.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Well, if you have any kind of Health Conditions, the Philippines is the totally wrong country for you, no matter which city

3. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    people come here for cheap liquor, cheap cigarettes and cheap nightlife.

Afraid you've probably chosen the wrong country. And yes, expensive when you compare it to your home country.

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    onlymike, there are some local vegetables that grow wild here and some you can plant. Malunggay is very popular, the locals eat it with rice and it is supposedly a cancer preventer. You can find malunggay trees on most streets off the highway. We grow malunggay, sweet potatoes, corn, and many other vegetables and fruits in our garden for basically free. We feed our boy mixed vegetables ground up in a food processor, healthy and not expensive.
    Maybe what you need, if you don't have one, is a cute filipina to show you how to eat healthy here and be happy instead of grumpy, then you can be mike and cutie instead of onlymike.

5. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Bye, its been a real treat

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Watermelon here isn't that expensive and doesn't seem to be loaded with sugars. (I can only tolerate minimal amounts of sugars in foods, for no medical reasons though, and I can tolerate the melons here) my daily meals consists of boiled eggs for breakfast and chicken, pork or beef mixed with potatoes, carrots and onions or some sort of prepackaged noodles for lunch and dinner.

My main calorie and nutritional intake comes from alcohol, cigarettes and women.

7. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Just like Wrye83 I try to eat healthy when i can. And, I get my eggs boiled nearly every morning! :-)

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... I like mine fondled

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Gee, I thought

I was doing pretty good at being cordial? Sounds like you're doing much the same as I am. I really miss berries and nuts-outrageous the prices here for those, except for peanuts which are not really nuts. Berries are great anti-cancer and anti-aging foods and walnuts are rich in omega 3's. You won't get those from vegetables. Rice is a very bad food for anyone with glucose problems-it's worse than sugar. It also makes you fat quickly, especially if you sit on you @ss drinking beer (whilst lying to yourself) all the time (not you and to others if the shoe fits...)

It's really no puzzle why Filipinos have such a short life span compared to 1st world foreign countries. If the bad food doesn't get you, the bad air and stress of living in an impossible Country will. If you're a foreigner, chances are you can add alcoholism to the life style dangers (smoking is even worse).

10. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    mike you didn't mention MSG that is a real problem for your heart, it is in flavoured noodles , magic sarap, and most of the processed foods here, not to mention most out foods.