Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden Hay or Straw

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by artpepper88, Dec 20, 2015.

1. artpepper88

artpepper88 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Hi, folks, I'm building a chicken run and I wonder if anyone can tell me where to buy a bale of straw or hay for the floor of the little cabin inside the run - where (hopefully) they will lay the eggs...

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by adventureph, Dec 23, 2015 (5 points)
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Dont think you will find either here art,never seen either in 5 years.alex on here keeps chickens,I'm sure he will be about tomorrow.
    Maybe wood chips or shavings from a planer might be available or even rice husks which are cheap enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    artpepper88

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Thanks for your response, Davy. My landlady owns a sugarcane farm near Tanjay - she might have something suitable. There are a couple of furniture makers nearby, too, for shavings...

• Like Like x 1
  5. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    If you want straw/rice stalks, go to the rice fields, especially past Mia's in Agan-an, it's harvest time, tons of it along the road, I'm sure they'd let you have it for free. Bailed? doubtful, but DIY, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    artpepper88

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    good suggestion. A good excuse to visit Mia's, if all else fails

7. adventureph

adventureph DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Best Answer
    I burn a lot of hay each week. If you are ever in the Bindoy area, I will give all that you want. Just give me a few days advance notice, and I will save some in the dry for you. How much are you needing?

• Like Like x 3
  8. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    I Grow 45 day meat chickens for kev the butcher,s smoked chicken they are all in wire cages so no bedding is needed ,rice hulls would do the job when rice straw is not available .Artpepper88 what breed of hen are you going to get?

9. OP
    OP
    artpepper88

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Hi, just now catching up on this. Thanks for the info - it looks like a nice trip up to your area from Tandayag (Amlan). I'll get in touch down the track when I'm about to get the chooks. I guess, in the old terms, about 2 bales of hay? I've a small SUV to transport bales in...

10. OP
    OP
    artpepper88

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Hi Alex. I don't yet know what breed I'm going to get - ones that lay good eggs, as I'm not raising them for meat. Any suggestions? I've got some guys building a run for them, about 7m x 3m, and in that run there'll be a covered nesting area. With the "hay". And can you tell me exactly where Kev the Butcher is located? He's the Aussie one I think, near Sibulan? I've been trying to find him for a while. Last info I had, I turned down a side road beside Kia Motors...

11. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Kevs place.
    image.png