Dumaguete Info Search

Healers in the Philippines

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ENIGMA, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ENIGMA

ENIGMA DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Has anyone had experience with"healers in the Philippines"my Filopina
    wife was informed by her friend, a"good healer"that some neighbours were
    trying to kill my wife and her family.This is supposed to be performed by the neighbours contacting a bad healer who puts a curse on my wifes family.
    My wife had to lift the curse by wearing a talisman sent by the good healer.This was
    supposed to have come from Siquijor,made by the good healers there.My
    wife sent her £50 to cover expenses,which was not asked for,so she says.
    The good healer informed my wife later,that it was my wife's relatives who
    want her dead and actually named them.My wife wasn't surprised as she knew
    they hated her because of jealousy.
    I personally think its a scam.As it's obvious to me that a person goes to a bad healer to put a curse on their enemy and is charged.The bad healer then informs a good healer what he has done.Then the good healer contacts the victim and they get paid for lifting the curse.I put this to my wife that the bad and good healers were working together,she said" no they are fighting each other".
    I wonder if anyone else has similar experiences?

2. ronin

ronin DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Enigma...i don't think the real issues is whether WE believe as westerns of this practice. the real issue is does your wife, a filipina, believe in this practice. I've heard about it and just play along. if honeyko is happy and feels safe, then its worth the money to me. i've heard about the white ladies and a number of others that i don't remember their names, but she thinks they're real and who am i to change her beliefs? sorta like Bigfoot, Yeti, Loch Ness Monster...there are westerns who believe in this stuff as well...to each his own i guess.

3. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    enigma, as a Pinoy, i have heard many stories like this, its really up to your wife if she believe, which ronin said it hard to take it aways from her if she does, our old folks had a sayin that, "you gain or lost nothin if you believe'

but i dont believe that removing the curse pays nothin,there must be samtin as "halad/donation" curing/healing is a profession, that is one way of making money

4. OP
    OP
    ENIGMA

ENIGMA DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Ronin,the problem is,my wife does believe.I explained to her that the majority of people in the west don't believe in that sort of thing.These superstitious beliefs have obviously been passed from her mother.Last time she put the talisman on our (then 2 year old son). A young girl in the park asked me what it was.I felt very awkward explaining to her.
    Now my son has started school and I feel he could be open to ridicule and bullying if he had to wear a talisman again.
    My wife has to learn,now she's living in the UK,she mustn't pass on her primitive believes to our children.
    Fair enough if we were living in the Philippines I would respect her beliefs but we are living in England,where back in the middle ages we were burning witches!

5. southerndon

southerndon DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Enigma,

I can relate to your feelings about "healers" my GF uses them against my wishes but that's her culture and I can't change it.

Nor do I really want to.

You married your wife knowing that she was from a different culture with somewhat strange beliefs. Those beliefs won't change just because she's living in another country. primitive or not...

Just love her and your son and rock on with it...she'll change slowly in time, I believe.

Southerndon

6. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Enigma, I believe your wife and I are from the same city... but, never heard that faith healers exist in Dipolog City. My family are strong believers in Christian faith. If we are in sorrow and in pain, we ask help to the Almighty God. If we are celebrating and happy, we give thanks to the Lord. If our beliefs are in question and troubled, we ask guidance to God. Hope her belief is not a hindrance of your marital bliss. There is nothing wrong with it. And this is not really a big issue, is it? :wink: My regards to your lovely wife.:smile:

7. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    Please don't take any of this wrong. I'm just pondering.

It seems to me that many of the beliefs in the Philippines are contrary to the Christian faith, yet are held by Catholics. I've by no means studied the religious background of the country, but I'm sure that much of that has evolved since the Spanish conquered an archipelago with a number of religions and beliefs.

But the beliefs are not entirely harmless, nor are more established beliefs, including Christianity. For example, many wars have been fought over religious differences, children have died because their parents trusted their god rather than take the child to a hospital, innocent people have been tortured and killed as in the Spanish Inquisition, many people have given money they needed to religious leaders, many of whom were phony, and many people have made bad decisions based on astrology, soothsayers, etc. I'm not saying this is the case here. I'm simply supplying food for thought.
    Richard

8. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Assuming she is Catholic, you might want to take her for a consult with a priest. He'll do his ritual thing and tell her everything is OK now. They deal with this quite often. My Mom was a Polish catholic and also came from a background of beliefs bordering on witchcraft. I was mesmerized as a child from her tales of exorcism. Then I grew up and realised she was bleeping nuts !! I don't think it will do great harm to your kids but I do think your best bet is to talk to a more progressive priest or minister. A few Hail Mary's, a swoosh of incense, maybe a secret wink to you and presto...the curse is gone !!

9. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Curse

.....either that or just set her bed on fire while she's sleeping. That usually works also.:D

10. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    Read the insurance papers first, eh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.