Dumaguete Info Search

Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by RichD, Dec 22, 2018.

1. RichD

RichD DI Forum Adept Veteran Air Force

Work?!?!?
    Ratings:
    +287 / 687
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I believe the vloggers that say, "If you can't afford health insurance, you can't afford to travel." At my age, 72, Cigna wants over $600 USD premium per month. I really do not want to travel per se, but I have to get to Duma as a traveler. My plan is to get a SRRV military visa and apply for PhilHealth.

Reading here I see many disparaging remarks about PhilHealth and its availability is the only reason I am willing to pay for the SRRV at my advanced age. I am able to pay out of pocket for my primary healthcare only utilizing insurance for sickcare beyond my means.

Is PhilHealth that bad? What are my private insurance options? Advice please.

2. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    On my 180,000 peso Chong Hua bill the Philhealth paid P 38,000.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Yes, that would seem to agree with our experience. On the bright side, 200k php isn’t really that bad compared to the likely cost in the western countries for any similar procedure. Also on the bright side is that, if you don’t have the cash on hand when you arrive at the emergency room, the Phil health card will get you in. This is VERY important. I suspect that Chong hua would let you in if you had a USA or Phils credit card with a decent credit limit in lieu of cash but I am NOT SURE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    This is what I have understood to be the main benefit of Phil Health here. It's not always convenient to hit an ATM before going to a hospital for a medical emergency, especially if it's payday and there's a line.

Can someone explain health insurance? At an advanced age, I would think that health insurance is no longer a "thing" for you. It makes no sense for an insurance company to insure someone who is far more likely than a 20-something to require expensive medical care. Health insurance is meant for guarding working people from financial disaster. At retirement, you move on to other government provided programs, such as medicare. I imagine there is also an expectation that you have saved money for medical care rather than being in those critical earning years. It also seems to me that a medical emergency while young is a disaster while a medical emergency at old age just might be old age. At some point, there is nothing more that medical care can do for you and that being in a hospital is more likely to kill you anyways.

In Dumaguete, medical care is far cheaper than it is in the US. This is partly because it's just a different system. The medical industry in the US is a total mess. The industry employs thousands of workers who's full time job is to figure out the opaque system.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brian_Goddard

Brian_Goddard DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 6

Here In Thailand the government is debating bringing Compulsory health Insurance for Long term Expats or no Visa It is a good idea in many ways.
    Just one small problem Insurance is impossible to get if you are over 70 under any circumstances.
    I had health Insurance here in Thailand and at age 60 the insurance company cancelled My Policy with the blunt note sorry you are 65 years you die soon, ha ha perhaps if i was a Thai that might have been true.
    To cut a long story short here i am no Insurance and soon it will be an Legal immigration requirement. One of my friends comment well that is the straw that broke the Camels back, I am out of here. A mass exodus of expats in 2019 is anticipated

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Given the situation from the options given in your post , 1) No insurance is available over age 70 and 2) insurance is required for legal immigration, I’ll BET there will a mass exodus in 2019 because anyone over 70 would not/ could not be legal. Do I have this correct? Thailand is no longer an option for long term stay by expats? That is rather stupid on their government’s part because it will discourage immigration by anybody 55 and above as they would know they had to leave in only 15 years; not practical to set up a homestead, buy property etc.. Thailand will be turning away many “ desirable” immigrants who have plenty of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Brian_Goddard

Brian_Goddard DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 6

Item two still has to pass legislation in the senate
    Thai Military Govt has a history of Backing out if it is deemed to hit them in the pocket.
    I expect it will be passed also the government seems to want us out and Chinese in
    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...qMxfMvE8Yyj106BbPYdZQd0whdS3wbsqIk7bB84OnrBnA

8. OP
    OP
    RichD

RichD DI Forum Adept Veteran Air Force

Work?!?!?
    Ratings:
    +287 / 687
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I know without a doubt that worldwide medical health insurance is available to those over 70. At 72, the quotes I got varied from $650 USD monthly for $2,000,000 to $172 for 250,000.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Could I ask what company the $172 quote was from?

10. Brian_Goddard

Brian_Goddard DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 6
    apparently it must be with a Thai Insurance Company at least according to media reports