Dumaguete Info Search

Hedging plant suggestions

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by brian ausie, Jun 4, 2014.

1. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Hello all we are interested in hedging plants, growing height 2 to 3 mtrs – there is the Bougainvillea which is an ideal burglars deterrent with its thorns but one must prune it and be a victim of the thorns, what would be ideal is something not so nasty but thick so it’s impossible to penetrate, reasonably quick growing. thinking of multi strand barbed wire fence it can grow over.

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Put the Barbed wire very close to the main stems of the hedge, so the hedge grows around the wire and it is not really seen until someone tries to climb though the hedge... by the time they figure out what is happening (remember they probably are lazy and dumb just to trying a access you property that way)... they will be confused and cut up a little. Most likely they will give up.
    As far as type of hedge.... just look around you area, when you see one you like, take a cutting or branch and take it to the nursery. They probably will not have more than a few plants, but you can ask them to "contract" grow you the number of plants you require for a hedge. I think a hedge is better than a block wall, as you can see through it a little to see if there is activity beyond your property line. My neighbor has a 10ft wall with razar wire on top... I figure he must have a few enemies, or hates me, but I would love to drive a tank up against it and blow a hole in it.... he would never see me coming. O-|.

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086

View attachment 10661 OH! come on Dave, Hardly cricket is it? View attachment 10662 :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    yea Dave I agree don't like the wall idea, takes away your view also your breeze, and it is probably harder to scale a hedge then a 10ft wall

5. DELETED-shotshapers

DELETED-shotshapers Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes I too would like a natural fence, I have planted some durian, mango and other exotic fruits, but wont be harvesting for 5 - 7 years at least, so have a little time to play with.

am currently in Ireland and here we have (Blackthorn, Whitethorn and another few really nasties that grow here), I have saved lots of the seeds and will stratify 3 months before i return ,and try to bring some cuttings with me too. they are actually native to eastern Asia and China,(although some claim that they are European in origin) either way I think/hope they will grow there.

a block wall is not really feasible, how high is high enough ???, and if the thyphoon comes will just knock it down.

so i to am thinking of beginning with the barbed wire and then plant what I have around it Japanese Barberry is another that has been recommended to me, thats a nasty piece of work, but I want to keep out the neighbours who think its ok to graze their cattle/goats/pigs and steal what fruit i have now when ever they seem fit

any advice on what grows locally that i can add to the mix, pruning is no bother for me, so what ever i plant wont be invasive

any ideas on what best to plant that grows locally

salamat

6. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92

hey guys, we've got an abundance of hedge plants for cuttings. most of our hedge is as dave suggested; run barbed wire and plant directly under it. some of it has bougainvillea mixed in, it's passable but it'll take some time cutting thru it.

here's fotos...
    Gardening: hedge starts anyone? | Dumaguete info - The Website of Gentle People

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Bougainvillea is grown locally, as Brian states. wife tried to grow some cuttings, but looks like they are dead.
    I'm the worse gardener in the world, wife thinks she's the best, but I know better

• Funny Funny x 1