Dumaguete Info Search

Help !! Do i need a return ticket?

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Fozzboy, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Fozzboy

Fozzboy DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi ALL,

i'm booking my flight to manila, i intend to get married and stay this time.

What i need to know is do i have to have a return ticket to be able to enter the Philippines, or can i get in with a one way fare ?.

Hope someone can help with this.

Regards.Alan

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
  3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    My 2 cents.....

You don't need a "return" ticket, but technically you need an exit ticket. Get the ticket you want to here, then get a "throw-a-way" ticket a short time in the future from the Philippines to a cheap destination such as Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc. via Cebu Pacific Airlines. You will need the "exit" ticket on you to show the airlines and possibly to show the Philippine customs agent on arrival.

Alternatively, you could book a round trip ticket and see if the return ticket is refundable when you book it, and once you get here cash it in. Each airline has different rules,and are subject to change so take no ones advice about the refundability of a ticket until you can read the actual rules of the particular airline you want to use.

4. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Technically, you are supposed to have an EXIT (although not necessarily return ticket). In reality, I have never had Immigration ask for one, although the airline has asked me to see one twice. Both times that airline was Cebu Pathetic.

BTW, the cheapest "throw-away" tickets would be the ones from Tiger Airways....Clark to Singapore... occasionally as low as $13....

Also...not that I am advising you to skirt the system, but showing the agent a booking print-off that has not been paid for (and, of course, can be cancelled) seems to work as well...

5. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I Was coming back from China with my Local wife around 3 years ago, the immigration wanted to see my onward ticket. Be careful just so the right thing.

6. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Or in my case, I managed to pick up a round trip ticket which cost only USD $50 more than the one way ticket.

7. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    There are several ways to comply with this exitrule:
    -A roundtrip ticket (cheap tickets are not refundable but sometimes a returnticket is cheaper than a oneway)
    -A oneway ticket plus a "fullfare" refundable ticket to any destination outside the Philippines, the cheapest may be with Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong. The ticket can be refunded once in the Philippines, be sure to ask for a fullfare refundable ticket.
    Only refundable if you pay with a creditcard -NO CASH!!
    There is an administrative cost of 15 Euro and some airlines (Malaysian) charge more.
    -A oneway ticket plus a "throw-away" ticket from a cheap airline as Air Asia or Cebu Pacific to Kota Kinabalu or Tiger airways to Singapore

8. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    If you want to buy a throw-away ticket, right now the cheapest solution is Air Asia with a promoticket Clark - Kota Kinabalu for 1119 pesos (august 25)
    If you need a visum to enter the Philippines, you may book this "onward" ticket within 21 days of arrival in the Philippines (visum on arrival) and extend your visum later in the Philippines.
    Sometimes this is cheaper than going to a Philippine embassy or consulate and apply for a 59 days visum (travelcost)

9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :confused: I am sure you are right But What is a VISUM firefly, New word for me?:smile:

Jack P. :cool:

10. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Sorry Jack, visum is visa in Dutch, my mistake.