Dumaguete Info Search

Help, I need $250!!

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by jss, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can you help me with $250 per month?
    I heard that one can live on $1thou per month to live comfortably in phil, but now its gona be $1,250!! I am short $250...
    Why? In a matter of 12 months, the cost of living in phil has increased 25% for americans like me. Here is why:
    1) the dollar is shrinking against the peso (10% over one year period)
    2) VAT system--most expats frequent establishment that charge VAT. This we didnt have to pay before. 10%!! Since we DONT do biz here (well most of us anyway), we cant offset this VAT payment. Don't you hate that 10% extra charge? Its everywhere...
    3) general inflation of 5%+.
    So there you have it. 25%+ "premium" to live in phil for Americans (much worse for japanese--its like 35% for them under this system, because yen has depreciated considerably against the dollar/pesos--is this why there are fewer japanese tourists?). For Europeans its 15% (because EURO is holding steady against pesos).
    ---
    So i am sure other americans (europeans too) are feeling this bite. Especially those expats that live on pensions from home (without peso incomes), this is especially hard because all of sudden, they need $250 more per month!...
    Some internet sites say you can live on $1thou per year comfortably in phil. Now you need $1,250. Time to find a job??? :(

2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Don't worry to much, the peso might drop some time, and the $ might get stronger, perhaps.
    yes The Euro is strong and the £, but all can change. One must take the whole
    package over the time of one's retirement. I.E average it out, say over 20 years,
    god willing. I remember the £ against the peso 30 now we get p92 thats triple :D waiting for the peso to drop then I send big money he he:D

3. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The Why Not is hiring receptionists,

Do you got pretty legs jss?

4. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Love your humor Marky.... You made me laugh...:D :D :D

5. OP
    OP
    jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hehe

No, but i can work ALL nite!

6. Columbo

Columbo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    US 750 seems enough

To me 750 should be enough lately, so before you were perhaps over-consuming 250. So that is the sunny side of it. Giving a tip: Visit the Sari-sari instead of Why Not. :smile: :smile: :D

7. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    :D That's a good one Columbo...:D

8. Decon_phils

Decon_phils DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 2
    It's a SHAME that ANY member here is asking for a Usd 250/month financial help. Was it YOUR choice to live here, or did you get forced into it ? Kindly realize that your own country does charge VAT also, perhaps you never noticed !

My advise: Get back to where you came from and live confortably on Usd 750,= / month !!!. It's a shame for this forum that this matter get's even posted.

For those who have donations to spent: We are running ( YES on our OWN account) a feeding project for the poor barrio kids near Sibulan. Then we are talking nessesary daily FOOD. No aircons, No Why-Not's, for those kids>>> pure FOOD is the subject here.

So, dear JSS get your act together, go back where you came from, as live seems much better there. I dont need your trash on this forum !!!

Decon>> aka Ryan

9. PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wow. I didn't take the post about wanting a monthly gift of $250 USD seriously. I figured JSS was just venting and stating that previous estimates for a particular lifestyle may no longer be true. I am considering moving to Dumaguete not only for the cost of living but because of my appreciation for the people, the culture, the pace and the natural beauty. I have no doubt that I would seek out a way to contribute to the welfare of the community as I have seen others do. I also would hope that spending my dollars there would add to the local economy and help provide jobs thereby reducing the number of people who are in dire need. Ryan, that was a pretty harsh reply. I'm new at this forum, am I missing something?

10. OP
    OP
    jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oops!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.