Dumaguete Info Search

Hey Joe

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by babel-fish, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Every foreigner is thought to be an American; these Filipino people are very miss informed. Don’t you just hate it when you hear someone shout ‘Hey Joe’ to me that show’s a lack of education?

Geography is not a subject any Filipino’s is taught correctly at school, most Filipino’s have no clue where other countries are other than those in Southeast Asia and America. So if you state you are from a European country the normal response is where is that in America. It’s amusing but in truth very sad seemingly even if a Filipino is highly educated the response is just the same.

It’s mostly only those that have traveled overseas, or have a foreign partner that learn where other places are in the world. It really surprises me that the government is happy at the fact their citizen are not wise about the world they live in.

Actual education is seemingly good other than the crowded classes and if parents can afford a child can get a very good education but with out a proper information on where the Pope lives. Yes most do not know what country the Vatican city is, though religious teaching is observed as this is a Catholic state. It would not surprise me if the Muslim minority does not know where Mecca is other than its direction.

Then it sad when someone says my English is slang and then they are bemused at the statement, I am an English man and that’s where English comes from. Of course you get the normal retort “Where is England in America”, lol

Well that’s it in a nut shell Joe, have a good day and if the locals stare at you, believe me they don’t think you’re a monkey.

Attached Files:

2. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Actually, I am contemplating about changing my name to 'Heyward Joe!' or 'Hey Joe' for short!

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    They are not misinformed as far as I can judge. They are simply NOT informed.
    And I don't mind at all if people shout to me " hey Joe".
    The only thing I do is laughing to them and answer with "HI".
    They mostly laugh to me and we both had a good moment.
    Why just hate these things ? Does it hurt you ?
    Are you sure they want to get you angry ?
    Take it from the positive side and be glad "they greet you".

4. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    "hey Joe" ????

awww the famous "Hey Joe" world war 2 G.I. Joe , I heard that at first my thought was "But my name is not joe !!" maybe they should say hey "dough boy"? no, I think not. But like jellyFish expounded just have to learn to live with it after all it is a greeting, they aren't saying get out of my country. we will never change this I gave up a long time ago. :cool:

This started when we just children or in my case I had not even been born yet.

5. OP
    OP
    babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am british through and through and rather be called tommy, lol

6. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    But kids don't know that if you're British, American, German, Australian or of any other nationality. "hey Joe" is their way of greetings.... it can be kids like you and recognize you as "foreigner" friend... it's kind of saying to you "hello & welcome"... Believe me it's not a bad thing at all. I just hope you won't be offended B-F....:wink:

7. mrsteve38

mrsteve38 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't mind the "hey Joe" thing. I have had kids refer to me as a "Milikan", and I point out that I am British!

re the geography thing...well how many Americans could point out European countries on a map...George Bush????

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well Steve, you really cant be that rude, have a look at that street video...

Klick here

cheers

Rhoody

9. lumpy

lumpy DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    that's hilarious!!

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    My response to hey Joe!" is "Hey Dong!"

They don't know what "Dong" means in the US, I often wondered if there was a connection in where that piece of slang came from.

Really though, it's just the only greeting they have been taught, their ignorance is not their fault. Quite frankly, the powers that be here do not want the masses to get educated. They just want them to keep giving to the rich on Sunday.

Larry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.