Dumaguete Info Search

hi from new member looking for good mens' hairdresser and laptop repairer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Notmyrealname, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Hi,

I am new to Dumaguete and would like to find a good mens' hairdresser who does not merely shave heads. Not a great fan of unisex salons. I read an old post here on the subject but cannot find the places mentioned as the post is a few years old. Also need a laptop repairer. Found one online and e-mailed him but no reply! Perhaps not very skilled at using a computer! (Him, not me).

Thanks in anticipation.

NMRN :smile:

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Try "Erica" ( a man.. sort of) at Carlos Reyes on Perdices near Siliman college. Very good cut and knows how to style. Do no just accept anyone from the shop. Cost 50 P but I tip him another 100 P so I keep his attention, and get quick service. Explain what you want and be sure he understands as his English understanding is not always perfect. My thinking is I use to pay 1200 P for a cut like that in the US, so I can should pay for a guy who knows how to cut hair, not just buzz it. I have noticed a lot of comments previously that were negative about the shops at Robinson Mall but I do not remember the specifics, may be they will show up again her on this thread.

3. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I took your advice, thank you, and visited Erica in Carlos Reyes, Perdices Street. My needs and wishes were a bit complex but she did a very good job (took off more than I had intended but it looked fine) and I would recommend her to men and women alike.

No one replied with any suggestions about laptop repairs but I will outline my experience for those who may also be looking. I had a laptop with a dodgy charging socket due to me dropping it twice! I first e-mailed PC DOC but received no reply. Then I tried Net Solutions (near Lee Plaza) and after a cursory inspection I was told that new parts were not available. The computer is a Lenovo (quite common around here), only one year old and nothing indicated that any new parts were even required! I could not recommend this place. I then visited SST in Robinson's Mall, who said they could fix it and the fee would be P2000. They then said that as the computer was discharged (this was due to the problem with the charging socket) it would be another P2300 to "check the display". In my opinion that is nonsense; you fix the socket first and see if it charges..... there is no need to check the display unless you see it is not working AFTER the socket repair. I declined this total charge of P4300 and was thinking I might have to buy a new laptop! But then I discovered that going into Dumaguete I was always passing Algorithms but had not realised it. So I tried them. The young man I dealt with knew his business and I was able easily to explain the problem and two alternative solutions acceptable to me (the first was to repair the socket and if that was not possible the second was to make a new connection to the charging lead). he grasped that and, obviously, suggested they would try the socket repair first. They repaired it .... no problem of "cannot get parts" or "Also need to check the display for another P2300" ... they repaired it and charged me P850 (just under 25% of the fee asked by SST). I have not tried other repairers and some may be as good but I have NO HESITATION from personal experience in recommending ALGORITHMS and just wish I had gone there first (but at least I learned something about two other repairers ... and saved myself P3450).

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1