Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Homeowner Association and personal responsibilities

Discussion in 'Property Development' started by Dave & Imp, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I am going through an interesting situation in my Homeowner Association in Dumaguete. Property owners are not paying the HOA dues. I live next to the guard house, but there is no more 24 hour guard as previously, only 12 hours guard. There is no electricity in the guard house or surrounding security lighting because 50% of the stakeholders have not paid their dues, and the electricity has been cut off. I try to help by charging up re-chargeable flash lights during the day to give the guard so he does not have to sit in the dark all night. He returns them to me and I recharge them. We are having an Association meeting on the 11th, I will post the attitude and comments at that time. Our dues are small at 250 P a month, and include garbage pick up too. (I have been told the HOA President pays for half of the fees and that is why are dues are low) You can imagine what the development will look like if there is no garbage pick up. The community actually looks pretty good now, but if garbage pick ups are cancelled the community will probably look like trash (pun intended). There are probably 30% empty lots. The 250 P dues a month should not break anyone in my opinion. President Duterte has a great challenge ahead of him to teach individuals in this country the meaning of commitments and discipline. This situation has been going on for over a month. Has any one else faced similar situations. This is the first time I have lived in a HOA development. Foreigners probably account of 20% of the residents.

Anyone else have similar problems and any recommendations for solutions?

2. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    Can't be done.......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Whatever you do Dave don't get too involved as it will end up your fault :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I didn't think that foreigners were legally allowed to have a say/vote in any HOA due to the property ownership laws.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I believe you are correct. However when I lose my guard gated community security, my community lighting at the entrance and through out the development, including the guard shack lighting , and the guard also, not to mention garbage pick-up being discontinued, I will probably say something to my landlord at minimum. I pay my HOA dues to my landlord directly, and he has faithfully paid the monthly dues. It will be most interesting to see how it is handled in a primary Filipino community.

PS: I have seen this type of threads on other forums, and it seems to be almost typical. They also complain about HOW Presidents breaking the rules: ie Rooster ownership, etc. What is those word we keep hearing... rules of law? lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Shoot the cock, leave a "drug pusher" sign next to the body. Problem solved. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Yes I agree but as Dave has made a move to Do something it is when he does not Charge the Light that it becomes his fault.
    Oh Yeah! but the Foreigner did not supply the Light; Something goes wrong and he can't see, We all know how it is never their Fault :bag:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Why, haven't I thought about this? I'm screwed for reserving two lots and it's non-refundable. Guess I won't be selling the only piece of land left that's not too close to relatives. I know!!! I can hear, " that arrogant b*tch", but I'm done! Enough already! No offense to extended families who are living happily.

9. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    HOA only work when 95% agree, are responsible and also pay their dues. The other 5% being a small minority can be coerced...unless they are the head of the HOA. I won't live where there is a HOA.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    I would like to know how the 5% can be coerced ? we used to live in a subdivision where one family run a fish business and had a brand new shiny L200 type truck but when it came to the dues payment time , NO BUDGET, is that what pinoy pride is for ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1