Dumaguete Info Search

Homeowners Association Fees

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by reedee, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    :eek:Hi, looks like my hubby and I are being put in charge of establishing a homeowners association for our subdivision. Just wanted to put a poll out here to see what the average going rate is for homeowners association fees are here in Dumaguete and what those fees cover. I know of one subdivision who's fees are 1000 php/mo. I would also like to know if anyone here knows average monthly cost of 24 hour security guard for gate? Will probably just have to make a few inquiries for that, but if anyone knows I would appreciate it!! Thanks, you guys!!:D

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    What it includes depends on the subdv. and what everyone agrees on. Electricity for street lighting, a pool, fountain, and any common areas including a rec building, is common, also for security (gate and roving). Some also have a separate bill for water. After that the sky's the limit.

If you are in charge of the security detail make sure only residents and approved guests are allowed in, or it is pointless!

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Reedee, I have a friend who runs the H.O.A. for a good subdivision in Daro. If I see him at the gym tomorrow morning I will ask him. He just built a new home there but I know the SD is about 20 yrs old and has a gate.

4. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Reedee, I had to make a Deed of Restrictions for the new subdivision at our beach. We started 4 years ago. I took 4 different examples to make our own document, in which the Home Owners Association plays a very important role and will take over the facilities after the subdivision is far enough completed.
    Like Knowdafish already stated, it all depends on what the parties are agreeing.
    But it sounds if your subdivision does not have any relation anymore with the Developer.
    In our case the Developer will remain a 'party' until all lots are sold and houses have been constructed.
    The monthly fee fully depends on what you want to include.
    I can't give you details but a fee of 1000 Php/ mth sounds not strange.

5. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    homeowners association

Thanks for the input you guys!! Luckily, our subdivision is only 1 street long, no clubhouse, fountains, etc....definitely need to talk to the owner about what costs he wants to shoulder and what costs he wants us to shoulder, such as the street lights, street maintenance, etc...I am sure we will want to have grounds maintenance done, I want to have a trash collection bin built to put outside the gate to keep the stray dogs from tearing up the trash bags on trash day, we currently have a guy who has been working here, overseeing everything and taking care of things ever since the subdivision started, so, he will be retained as the daytime security guard, so we will then need to hire another one or a service to do the night shift. These are all things that will be brought up when we have our first meeting, as well as discussing election of officers, as we don't really want to be in charge!! Don't mind getting things going, though. I also found rules/by-laws of another Dumaguete subdivision homeowners association online to use as a guideline for establishing ours.

6. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    developer

Thanks!! Yes, the developer is still very much involved at this point, and probably always will be. He is the one who told my husband to undertake the homeowners association and get things going. There are still some lots unsold and two new townhouses currently being built, so this subdivision is still not complete.

7. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    on top of what others have already mentioned, you also have to begin to establish a reserve account for long-term sort of repairs and maintenenace....streets, seal coated, sidewalks built, Sports court, etc...

8. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Reserve account

Exactly!! I think, in the beginning, most of the fees will be going into that reserve account, since the developer is still paying for most of the things. Luckily, this is a tiny subdivision and there will be no sports court to worry with, and there won't be sidewalks, either. The developer is going to asphalt the road as soon as these two townhouses are completed in the next couple of months, but then, I think the homeowners will need to step in maintain the road after that. Thanks for the info!! Believe me, I am keeping all of these suggestions!!

9. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    just as a side note and some food for thought. I was once on 18 homeowners association boards AT ONE TIME. It's a thankless task that often times leaves you at odds with your neighbors that deem you as a real pain in the #*&. It will effect your quality of life in the community you live in. People think nothing about knocking on your door at midnight to discuss pet rules. Or, more embarassing, you come home with friends and a neighbor wants to have an open discussion about a HOA issue right in front of your guests.

Most associations start up with a proposed budget which all homeowners vote on. Voting is usually outlined in your By-Laws of the association to determine required percentage to vote, passing votes, to have a quarum, etc.

Example, the HOA monthly budget is 50K pesos. 51% agree and vote to enact it. 30% vote against it. 19% never vote. If your By-laws state it requires 60% to approve/disapprove- your new budget is now disapproved with the numbers above.

The random payment each month of 1000P will also be subject to scrutiny and a source of content. An owner that has a 6 bedroom home on a 10,000 sq meter lot pays the same 1000P that someone with a 3,000sq meter lot and a 2 bedroom home on it? In a lot of situations the developer gives a site plan with total square footage and that of each lot and pro-rations are done.

Example (keeping math simple):
    Budget is 50K a month
    Entire association is 100,000 square meters
    The Owens family lot is 10,000 sq meter
    They own 10% of the project and would pay 10% of the budget (5,000 a month)

All other considerations which require a quarum of the association to meet and agree/vote on are Who's the secretary? Monthy/quarterly/yearly HOA meetings? Who's the treasurer? What's the limit of and expense the HOA president can approve without having a HOA meeting? Term limits for officers of the HOA? If someone rents their home out, can the tenant now be a part of the HOA and will tenant issues be addressed by the HOA? Etc...

Hope these thoughts help and I wish you all the best in this endeaver....

Mark

10. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    VERY good info

Thank you so much, there is a lot of good info here!! I will be sure and pass this on to whomever assumes the role(s) of responsibility in our homeowners association. Luckily, 90% of the owners/tenants here are all cousins (distant) of my husband, as is the developer of the subdivision, so, at least it is and will be a very cohesive thing (hopefully, anyway), we are all very friendly with one another, and nobody is the uptight type. Right now we all pitch in to subsidize the "maintenance/security/groundskeeper's" salary. My husband and I pay for his wife's monthly medications. We all give him money when he comes around to pick up trash, we all give him money to pay the landscaper with (although the developer gives him a stipend to pay certain expenses). I feel like we all see this as "our" responsibility already, so it shouldn't be too hard to come up with rules and regulations that we all agree to. Thanks again, and I look forward to passing the torch after the first HOA get-together!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.