Dumaguete Info Search

Hotel in Manila?

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by devildog4, May 24, 2012.

1. devildog4

devildog4 DI Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    My Wife and I will be staying in Manila for 3 days before we fly to Dumaguete. Any suggestions on where to stay? Don't need anything too fancy, just a clean room with a/c and tv...

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Where do you plan to go and do while there? I was there Sun-Mon and traffic near the airport is crazy so if you will be going out and about a lot, I wouldn't stay near the airport. If you want good shopping and dining, Makati is good. The Mall of Asia is good shopping and dining as well, and not too far from the airport. Maganda Travel can help with hotels in that area and near the embassy. Enjoy your stay.

3. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    The Atrium Hotel was a pleasant stay

My adult children visited in April and I met them in Manila for two nights. I found internet ad for the Atrium hotel emphasizing large size rooms. I rented a suite for 4 which included two master bedrooms and was very nice. The room was one of the largest I have been in and very modern and well kept. You will have to check the prices, but it was within reason of what I had been renting closer to the mall of Asia which was not nearly as nice. It was within reasonable distance to Mall of Asia and a Ocean Park Aquarium, as well as some of the historic areas we visited. I do not remember the price I had paid so you may want to check the internet, but the hotel actually delivered on what it said as far a facilities. It was very secure also.

Good luck there. You will get a chance to practice paying (arguing) taxis fares there, which will be helpful with the trike drivers here. No matter how many times I said '"by the meter, it was always an negotiation at the end. Some of the fixed fees were actually lower than the meter fees, as traffic can be at a standstill in Manila. When you do not have luggage in the back, I found the best way to negotiate was to give the drive the appropriate taxi fare and walk away. I was quoted as high as 640 pesos to go to the hotel from the airport, and was charged less than 200 pesos when the meter was used. Welcome to the Philippines.

4. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    It is difficult to suggest a hotel because I don't know your taste or your budget. We stayed at the Copacabana Apartment Hotel a couple times and liked it. It is near the airport, near the Mall of Asia (we would cross the street in front of the hotel and take a jeepney straigght to the mall) and has aircon, hot water, tv and a pool; plus WIFI at extra cost. However it is quite far from the downtown area. Rooms cost around $50 - $55. If you prefer to be near the Baywalk area of Manila Bay, then Mabini and Adriatico streets have several reasonably priced hotels, lots of restaurants and nightlife. Personally, I like the area behind the Mall of Asia. Manila, in my opinion, is not a very nice city but the area around Mall of Asia (especially the seashore area) is clean and less crowded. There is even a ferris wheel and some kiddie rides out there. The Mall itself has lots to do; including ice skating, IMax theatre, planetarium and a small amusment park. It also has some good restaurants overlooking Manila Bay; some with live entertainment in the evenings.

If you do stay at the Copacobana, you will be near Baclaran (walking distance), an area that has lots of really cheap wholesale clothes and shoes (many of the stores only sell in bulk though). We usually buy a year's supply of clothes when we go.

5. xhippie

xhippie DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +27 / 7
    try using agoda to look for rooms..they give lots of details and most times reduced room rates..i have stayed at the la coronna best western and found it to be a good place..with in room wifi and a full breakfast included

6. Vicmico

Vicmico DI Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Look at Asiatravel.com for special deals for hotels. They can also arrange for transportation from en to the airport (or arrange that with the hotel of your choice). My wife and I have been using this facility several times now and were pleased with the results.

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I've stayed 3 times at The Mabuhay Manor close to the Mall of Asia. Their free breakfast is among the best I've had in the Philippines.

It is a great place to get over jet lag and unwind at a medium price.

The Mabuhay Manor | Hotel in Pasay City, Philippines

8. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Agree with Vicmico; Asiatravel.com are very efficient to book with. You'll find that you will probably pay more if you are a "walk-in" or if you book direct with the hotel. Asiatravel get all the promotions and pass them on.

I have stayed at the Mabuhay Manor and the Copacabana suites. Both are good and not expensive, but of the two I much prefer the Copacabana. Both are very near to the airport so no big rip-off taxi journey. If money is not so tight, one of my favourites is the St. Giles Hotel on Makati Avenue corner of Kalayaan. Many of the embassies and big businesses use it for their corporate clients. Excellent rooms with all facilities, including an in room safe. Swimming pool and gym on the top floor, 36 stories up !!! so if you have vertigo don't look over the side !!!

9. OP
    OP
    devildog4

devildog4 DI Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    Thanks for the replys everyone. We decided to book at the Manila Pavilion Hotel thru agoda.com this morning. We are staying with family, so I got a Deluxe room with one large bed and a Superior room with two beds for 3 people. Deluxe was USD 93.50 and Superior was USD 106 per night which includes VAT and:
    •air conditioning
    •daily newspaper
    •inhouse movies
    •desk
    •hair dryer
    •television
    •bathtub
    •shower
    •mini bar
    •satellite/cable TV
    •coffee/tea maker
    •complimentary bottled water
    •internet access – wireless (complimentary)
    •refrigerator
    FREE BREAKFAST