Dumaguete Info Search

How expensive is monthly pool maintenance?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Solid_Pan, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Solid_Pan

Solid_Pan DI Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +92 / 2
    To all of you that own/rented a house with pool: about how much do you think is monthly pool maintenance (chemicals, electricity)? We are looking for a house to rent or to buy and there are some offers with a pool. I like to estimate the costs before I make a decision. Thank you for sharing your experience with me!

• Like Like x 2
  2. bootlegger

bootlegger DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +216 / 40
    Blood Type:
    O-
    I have a property with a pool, but use salt water chlorination, so a sack of salt can last up to a month or two, depending on usage(P200/40 kg sack), algaecide( copper sulphate) runs to about P350/kg, we use a 1/4 kg every fortnight(two weeks). Chlorine dependent on whether you use 70% or 90% ( P250-P350/kg), as we use very little powdered chlorine, probably lasts around 1-2 months/kg. Of course you need electricity to run the pumps every day, so that would also increase the cost and a test kit for a weekly water testing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. IggyPop

IggyPop DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +115 / 50
    We are looking to get a pool built this year and we also prefer the salt water for minimal chlorine use. Do you know where they sell these pumps and are the pools actually built any differently from traditional chlorinated pools?

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    My pool is around 24 thousand gallons, chlorine and electricity ( running the pump average 3 to 4 hours a day) runs around P3,500 per month. Labor for maintence is done in house so no labor costs. From time to time cleaning equipment will need replacing and pump house problems can spring up. If you develope an Algie problem my guess you would be looking around P2,000 for additional chemicals/shock treatment.
    My biggest expense is food and drinks for all the people that show up for a swim... HaaHaa.

• Like x 2
    • Thanks x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Thought about combining the two?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bootlegger

bootlegger DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +216 / 40
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Polaris have salt water chlorinators for sale, don't know prices as I imported mine from Australia over 20 years ago, which is still working well. Structural pool construction is the same for both fresh & salt water pools, only the plumbing in the pump room is slightly different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. blueskies

blueskies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +204 / 35
    Our 75sqm swimming pool monthly cost 6,000 to 7,000 per month plus labor of 4 times per week(1,600) total per month is 8,500 pesos more or less. All includes; chemicals, electric, equipment replacement and labor.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    It all depends on ; sun exposure, depth, water quality, tree's in the surroundings, cleanliness of , and amount of users. We have our rain water pool now 12 year , it is about 10,000 gallons, 4 ft deep overall and roofed!
    My wife and me use the pool at least one/two times a day, after showering!
    Cost 4 kg chlorine 90 =P 1,200, 2 kg anti algae P 700 in 3 months = appr. P 500 per month . Vacuum ones every 2 weeks, run pump ones a week for 3 hours . Remove leaves ect daily from surface and bottom using the net what comes with the equipment but the netting replaced with a finer screen...Water is always crystal clear.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    One hard lesson I learned is to keep orchids far away from the pool unless you are Irish and like green water!! HaaHaa.

10. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    What chlorine are you using? 70%? I use 90% from Japan, its the best in my opinion, its around P13k per 50 kg drum (260 per kg) and lasts around 1 year.