Dumaguete Info Search

how much it cost to build a house

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by thaliaeden, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thaliaeden

thaliaeden DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hello to everyone,
    i would just like to ask to anyone who got experience in building a house,
    i am planning on building a 3 bedroom and 2 bath and toilet in valencia,
    i would like to know how much does it usually cost for a simple and yet comfortable enough place to stay in with.
    does anybody in these forum had any experiece building a house.
    any help and information would greatly be appreciated.
    and one more thing how much does it really cost to build a fence?
    thank you very much.
    thaliaeden

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
  3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Thaliaeden, there are many on this forum who have experiences with building there own home, or at least having it build by a constructor.
    I also have some experience now, but it is so depending on what type of house you want: one storey or two ?, type of roof, quality of your material (even hollow blocks !) and so on.
    It's not easy to give a simple advice.
    I got from another person the following index: 200 Euro till 230 Euro / m2 floor surface. (1 Euro is about 68 pesos). To be used as a primary thumb-estimation.
    That is inclusive tiles, painting, etc.. but not landscaping and fencing.
    Fencing can be done on many ways: concrete wall, nice ornamental ironwork, bamboo, wood, river stones (boulders),..... and what to say if the type of fencing and its height is not known ?
    And better make for easiness of comparison a calculation per meter of length/height.
    That price indication (230 euro/m2) did fit reasonably for my situation as well.
    Building yourself can be cheaper (10-20% or even more)than having your constructor, but I know quite a few cases where the inexperienced foreign 'builder' had to pay 50% more than calculated by him.
    Wrong choices, bad workers (hiring/firing several times). etc,,,,
    It's not an easy thing unless you know well the procedures, contacts/relations (very important), material performances, .....
    But it's certainly do-able when preparing well in advance with help of experienced persons.

4. Sunabe1

Sunabe1 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great information but any chance of having an estimate for building in USD$ per Square Foot? Saves the time of going to all those online converters!

Also, anyone have some references on Real Estate agents? I'm looking for property (to build on) either oceanfront or oceanview, close to town (Duma) in a safer area...possibly with Expat neighbors. A development is fine....

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

How long is a piece of string? Bamboo and nipa is slightly cheaper than steel and glass, which do you prefer? What kind of fence? Bamboo is cheaper than steel. Concrete is somewhere in the middle.

Larry

6. OP
    OP
    thaliaeden

thaliaeden DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thank you all for the reply and great information. i was just thinking of having an over a meter high fence made of blocks then the rest would be steel, but seems like steel is expensive, does anyone in here had any problem with their house made in hollowblocks.?
    thank you very much.

7. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Simple answer: NO. See to it that they don't too many HB out of 1 sack cement. 40 is ok, but 70 ...... you get propblems later :smile:

8. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Before venturing into a construction project like this, you should at least consider the much more simple option of purchasing an existing home.

"3 bedroom, 2 bath and toilet in Valencia" isn`t really that special or difficult to find, and with the financial crisis and all, the prices of existing houses have come down to a more normal level in Dumaguete just like elsewhere in the world.

You might even be able to make a really good deal, if you can find a seller, who is in desparate need for the money or just tired of waiting for a buyer.

I seriously dought, that you will save money by building your own house. And please don´t forget also to value the time, that you will need to spend for such a project. In particular of course, if you choose to lead the project yourself rather than use a constructor.

The mentioned cost of 14.000-17.000 peso/m2 (200-230 EUR) is similar to numbers, that I have heard from others before.

9. sean

sean DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi, i am a builder by trade here in australia. yet it was best for me to get my house built in sabulan by a good builder.
    two story, hollow block concrete filled, heavey steel roof, large verandah.
    all up 140 squar meters.
    only two bedrooms but 2 bathrooms and 2 toilets.
    it has taken nearly 3 months now, only 2 more weeks to finish it. all up around 500,000.00p
    if you have good builders you have very littel problems.
    ill be there on the 22nd of september. for the house blessing.
    so like i said, get a good honest builder.
    sean

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    While 500 K sounds very cheap to me, 200-230 Euro/m2 is about doubling the price I got from several people.

200 * 68 * 130 = 1.77 Mio Peso for a house without garden

well that pays 353 Month (29.5 years) my rent (3 bedroom + studio) inclusive garden ...

as I am still young I might even have the chance to reach that age... hehe (Of course that is mend regarding my lifestyle, not regarding the age of investors in hollow-blocks)

Well, if not I convert some 100 month rent into SMB, still much tastier for me than chewing own sandy hollow blocks...

(I can hear calculators running hot now... )

that reminds me... Wednesday night... I am off :smile:

cheers

Rhoody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.