Dumaguete Info Search

Question How much power from a solar panel in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dave_Hounddriver, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I know that the solar panels are rated. A common solar panel is rated at 500 kw. What I want to know is approximately how many kwh that 500 watt panel will provide me during the course of a month.

For example, my Noreco bill says I use between 4000 and 5000 kwh every month. I want to know how many 500 watt panels I would have to use to supply me with about 2000 kwh and thus cut my electric bill down close to half.

Anyone?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #21 by contrail, Feb 16, 2016 (5 points)
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Dave I presume you do mean 400 & 500 not 000's ?

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Just a little something I was keeping for Reference.
    How Many Solar Panels Does It Take to Make One Kilowatt?
    Thought it might be useful :thumbsup::wink:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Nutz2U2

Nutz2U2 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    500W = 0.5kW
    2 x 500W Panels = 1kW
    2000kW / .5kW Panel = a b l o o d y lot - in simple maths terms

BUT with solar it is not that simple.

My 1.75kW system i was looking at had 7 off .25kW panels, with monthly usage of 500kW

So based on .5kW panels you would look at approx 35 to 40 panels.

But I would go one step further and look at on-grid metering as well. (my 2cents worth).

Try Ken Scales from Solar Power here in Duma ---- I'll PM you his numbers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Yes. After reading your post I took another look at the bill and realized my old eyes had missed the decimal so, for example, this months bill is for 435.0 kwh so this is a simple question. How many kwh will a 500 watt solar panel produce in a month, in Dumaguete?

EDIT: AHA, Google is my friend so let me put this out there and see if anyone can confirm or dispel this information. A 500 watt solar panel produces a maximum of 500 watts in one hour. That would be a maximum of (500 x 12 =) 6,000 watts per day. Allowing for a 50%?? efficiency rate that would be (6,000 x 50% x 30 days =) 90 kw in a month? If I am understanding this then I would only need 3 x 500 watt panels to knock my electric bill down by half. Comments?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  7. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I think Norbert has done that for you in his Post, my thoughts are, Would be nice but based on the answer I think we would need a lot of Room to produce the required out put. On the Other hand, Bryan down at the Finish post can I guess answer, he must use a heck of a lot of power and he is I think Totally Solar.

8. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Yes, thanks Jack and Norbert. But the numbers Norbert was working with (my incorrect figures) were off my a factor of 10 so if his numbers are correct then I would only need 3 to 6 panels to substantially reduce my bill. Yes, I could ask Brian or some other contractor but I chose to publicly ask here as I am sure others would have the same questions so would like to see input here.

A friend had solar installed for a price of US$500 per panel (complete with all the required parts but no batteries because he is just supplementing the grid) plus $500 for the installation fee. So here is where I am going with this: If 3 panels can be installed for a total of (US$2,000) 90,000 pesos and I could save 2,000 pesos a month off my electric bill with that system then it would pay for itself in 45 months, yes or no?

9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :thumbsup: All sounds good

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I saw his electric bill last night. Noreco owes him money for December (P2k+). Not sure how many panels he has installed though. I guess I should have paid more attention last night.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nutz2U2

Nutz2U2 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    Dave,

That is too easy.

You must include for rain, clouds, overcast, angle of sunlight, cable wastage, etc.

There are calculators available on the net to work out the return of initial costs.

There are variables to be considered, included the age of individual panels in the long term.