Dumaguete Info Search

How to hide 400 million

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by cabb, Nov 17, 2017.

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "Like many women married to very wealthy men, she didn’t know much about the family accounts. "

Because she didn't earn any of that money.

"Robert Oesterlund wasn’t born rich, either. When Pursglove first met him, on a cruise ship off Helsinki in the ’90s, he ran a struggling flower-import business. "

Seems like the wife deserves nothin.....

"Their earliest success was a direct-mail firm called Credit Key Express, which promised credit cards to people with bad credit. Later they started Columbia House-style online membership clubs that sold discounted movie posters, books, DVDs, even dietary supplements. Xacti, which came to enfold most of their ventures, sold banner ads, video games and various other kinds of software, including “toolbars” that promised to clean viruses off your computer or free up space on your hard drive. The businesses threw off enormous amounts of cash, and by the mid-2000s, "

Oh, he profited off of poor and stupid people as well as "clean your PC" scam software? Meh, f*ck this guy.

Didn't have time to read the entire thing, did they screw him over in the end?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    In the end, he actually had to release the documents that he claimed not to have because his lawyers would not represent him if he didn't. It would make them complicit in the deception and could lead to disbarment if they said the papers didn't exist. The aspect of the story you chose to focus on is interesting. I wasn't so concerned about what was a fair distribution of wealth between husband and wife, but the elaborate methods used to hide money from the US by both initially and then from his wife in the end. I wonder how often these maneuvers are used. I assume as much as one can get a way with. I don't know why a wealthy person wouldn't take advantage of them if it could be done with inpunity. The panama papers shed some light.
    Panama Papers - Wikipedia
    I think I read the firm involved was the 4th largest meaning there are 3 larger.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm not all that familiar with hiding money. Working on a USG contract I'm required to be paid in a US Bank. They get their money before I have any chance to hide it. (Not that I would even if I could.) I am familiar with an ex-wife getting more than she is entitled to though.

Listen on Google Play Music
    Listen on Google Play Music

...but there's an example of an *sshole who got/gets away with hiding money and ripping off hard working Americans.

I imagine that the tactics in the article are only used by the elite in the top 0.5%. Unfortunately that amount of lost tax revenue is a huge loss for the US. You could certainly "MAGA" if that nonsense was put to an end.

5. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    You need to start your own consulting business, that's step one. :wink:

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think step one is to be a massive POS and not give a sh*t about anyone but yourself. Gamble with other people's money and never put your own at risk. Hire illegal aliens and contractors to do work for you then never pay them. Make strong ties to the Mafia so you can intimidate your workers and the unions. If they try to sue you have your team of lawyers (also with ties to the mafia) keep it in the courts as long as possible. Feel free to break the law because government fines are not more than you make in profits from breaking the law. If someone says something about you you don't like sue them for $100M, when you feel they have wasted enough money on their lawyer fees drop the case.

Trump Business 101.