Dumaguete Info Search

How to mount a photo on MAT board?

Discussion in '☋ Photo Board ☋' started by Tillumysuryy, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tillumysuryy

Tillumysuryy One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is the best (and most inexpensive) way to professionally mount a photo on MAT board?This is for a photo competition. Last year I used spray glue and it didn't work very well, and bled through in some spots.

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Are your photos on printer paper or high quality photographic paper?

3. Ricofoto

Ricofoto DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Matt board is used to frame a picture after the picture is glued to a mounting board. I assume you want to mount(glue) a photo onto a board. There are various ways of doing this, some expensive and some requiring special equipment. Using a spray adhesive as you have done is an acceptable way of mounting photos but must be done carefully. I will try to explain how to go about it.

First and formost your photograph should be on quality paper, preferably fibre base or the more current plastecised. If ink jet paper, it needs to be a good quality ink jet paper. Secondly any adhesive and boards used should be "acid free" The spray adhesive should be one recommended for mounting photos.

You will also need a couple of pieces of silicon paper bigger than the photo. First lay your photo on the mount board where you wish to glue it. With a pencil, lightly mark an angle around each corner for allignment. Next lay a piece of silicon paper over where the photo will go but just exposing the pencil marks. Lay the photo face down on some paper on a flat surface and in a ventilated area that is dust proof. Lightly spray diagonally across the back of the photo from side to side, going over the edges to prevent build up. Then turn the photo 90 degrees and lightly spray again to give a good coverage. Avoid edge build up and also globules of adhesive.

Gently pick up the photo by its edges, turn over and lay on the silicon paper, aligning the top corners with the pencil marks. Gently press the top edge of the photo down to adhere, then slide the silicon paper down an inch and using the other piece of silicon paper press that part of the photo down. Keep doing this until the photo is full glued down. Avoid getting any creases or air bubbles as these are impossible to remove. There, you photo is mounted, if you wish you can place the silicon paper over the photo and then a sheet of glass with a few heavy books etc. to hold flat until the glue dries. Practice with some old photos first until you get it off pat, because once stuck down you cant unstick. If you want some info on cutting and fitting a matt, just ask me. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.