Dumaguete Info Search

How to save money while traveling in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Dave & Imp, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I was in the Dumaguete port area the other day. There was a trike driver and two foreign tourist discussing fare rate with the driver. Obviously not all of them, particularly the tourists, were happy with the negotiations. I almost stepped forward to help them out. The trike driver could see me listen, and did not want me to be part of the discussion for the obvious reasons. He even noted to me that he was taking them to Dauin and it was a long ways. Most likely after dropping them off and collecting his fare, he would send his family Cebu for a weeks vacations at a resort with his profits from the tourist fare. What I am trying to say is they were targeted as easy marks.In this case because they were identified as not knowing enough information to make a wise decisions while negotiating the prices., i would have advised these tourist to use a combination of travel methods including the bus to Dauin. They would have probably saved about 70% on their travel costs and had a much more pleasant ride also. However they never asked so they were at the mercy of the trike driver's very self serving information.

Here is how you save money here when traveling:
    Do ask locals to help you for finding things and places, particularly if they are foreigner and are willing to guide you a little.
    Do not look like a tourist to anyone selling anything that does not have a price tag on it when you walk up to it; because you will pay a lot more than the locals pay.
    Ovoid carrying a fully packed back pack as that instantly identifies you as a tourist mark. (Use a local (Robinson, Lee Plaza) plain plastic bag... looking like you are a local expat living on a survival budget not on a luxurious vacation budget.
    Do not carry a tourist guide book (like lonely planet, etc) around with you insight of others because prices will increase a lot for you as the identified tourist mark.
    Do not look vulnerable or lost even if you are.
    Do not let a trike driver deliver you to a local resort, as his only motivation will be to get his kick back, and you will most likely pay the additional cost for your stay.

Please post additional hints on how to save the tourist here some money on their first visit. Maybe they will buy you a beer and reduce you beverage budget for the day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Join Dumaguete Info before traveling to Dumaguete and ask on the forums what you should expect to pay. :whistling:

I made a short list of the basic cost of things in Dumaguete on the main site.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    The amount these tourists paid to get in Dauin by tricycle is not mentioned. However when leaving the pier there's a billboard with an overview of destinations and fares, which @least gives some idea. Never used a tricycle having my own wheels, what I remember that these, so called tourist rates are rather high (my opinion) when taking comfort and distance into consideration and compare it for instance when using an aircon taxi on Cebu island.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I agree, :happy: I have almost always found the aircon comfortable taxi cheaper than the uncomfortable trikes of Dumaguete. :smile:

The trike driver was very obviously trying to keep me away from the negotiations so I could not hear what he was quoting. He was aware that I was ready to pounce before he skinned this young couple if I heard his price.

In this case the Trike was parked by Harold Mansion, so it probably was not under the jurisdiction of the posted rates. Even if it was under the rate jurisdictions the trike drivers just ignore those rates if it you miss seeing the posting, just like the baggage handlers do. Personally I find the trikes about the most uncomfortable ride available, particularly after I "unwind" my body after getting out of the small passenger compartment. If you are up to it, it is cheaper to rent a motorcycle and go where ever you want to go if you are traveling much, and paying tourist rates in the Trikes. i use a bus for anything over 7 Km on the highway, and then using a local trike. The bus is a much more comfortable ride to me. I take the Ceres bus to Bacong for 20 P, the multicab for 10, and the trike well .... 150 to 250 P if they can get it out of you. :happy:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    Sadly though, this is why a lot of people i have talked to in aus about here, people who have been here a few times before,
    are not coming back here, going to south vietnam and thailand instead because the attitude of ripping off the foreigner is not as bad
    there as it is here ..................

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dave199

Dave199 DI Junior Member

IT (for my sins in a prevoius life I guess)
    Ratings:
    +24 / 1
    Renting a scooter, what can I expect to pay if I rent it for 4 days, + I'd need a helmet?
    I'm not small so a 125 would be the smallest, prefer a 150.
    Any info as to rates and locations would be appreciated. I'll be staying at the C & L bay view hotel near the boardwalk (I think)

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Can't help you on the Motorcycle (some will no doubt ) but :wink: Sorry Dave I smile, do you mean you think you are staying in the Bay view or you think it is near the Boardwalk (Boulevard) Cos you really need to make sure if you are staying there. :wacky:

:whistling:Stupid head on this Afternoon, excuse my intervention. :pompus:

JP :bag: :meh: (Maybe I will just have a nap)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dave199

Dave199 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 1
    I k
    I know where I'm staying, just saying its near the boardwalk so people know what area I'm in. There is always time for a nap, a well planned day will allow for 2 naps :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You should be able to find a scooter for rent for less than 500 a day, don't personally know anyone renting them out though. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. As for the helmet, well, do you feel you need one? Personally, I'm quite gwapo (or so all the ladies tell me) and I'd like to keep it that way. :cool: Gotta be pretty brave (or stupid) to drive without one in the Philippines, regardless of the legalities of it. I have plenty of helmets and I'd be more than happy to lend you one during your stay if you like. You could more than likely get away with not wearing one but do you want to risk having an accident and then having a local doctor operate on your melon? If you survive the wreck you might not survive the medical "care".

I have started compiling a list of hotels and resorts, among other businesses, on the forum for reviews. C&L is on the list. Personally I like Hotel Palwa. P999 a night, nice rooms and centrally located (no, they don't pay me to say that, I've just always liked the hotel). Nothing wrong with C&L though. If you stay at one of the hotels on the list please consider leaving a rating and/or review. It could help someone else looking for a place to stay. You will also find quite a few restaurants/restobars that foreigners frequent on that side of the forum if you would like to know where a lot of the expats like to get their food and beer.

10. Dave199

Dave199 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 1
    Thanks for the info and the helmet offer. I always intended to wear a helmet, the ? was more related to the daily rental part. And I will give my thoughts on the hotel and even the one I'll stay at in Bohol.
    I based my initial decision on its review rating from Bookings.com. Hope it lives up to that "good" rating.

• Like Like x 1