Dumaguete Info Search

Hungarian citizen?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by NYC, Jul 2, 2018.

1. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I know this is a long shot, but is anyone on the forum a Hungarian citizen, or former citizen? I just have some general questions about how things work in that country.

If you only have Hungarian ancestry, no need to contact me unless you are familiar with the process to get a Hungarian passport. I am entitled to have one through my grandfather who was a natural-born Hungarian, but know nothing about it and even internet research is difficult. Just looking for some hints on where in particular to look for information. Even the name of a reliable English-speaking Hungarian immigration attorney would be helpful.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I work closely with the Hungarian military (and I'll be going on vacation there in October to visit). Doesn't really meet your requirements to reply but I could ask my friends there if they know any English speaking immigration attorneys.

3. OP
    OP
    NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Hey! That would be awesome! Thank you so much for offering and I appreciate any information you can secure for me.

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Hungary has a consulate in Cebu and an embassy in Manila.

5. OP
    OP
    NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Thank you for that information. I try to avoid going to those places, but it will likely be helpful to plan an extra day for a consulate or embassy visit when I absolutely need to go there for other reasons.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Do you speak Hungarian? Without being proficient in their language naturalization will be out of the question. It is a requirement for any of the naturalization processes/laws. (Even the 2011 law making it easier for people with Hungarian ancestry to get citizenship.)

7. OP
    OP
    NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I am aware of that requirement. I don’t speak Hungarian, but I do have the ability to learn. I will only cross that bridge when it is evident that citizenship is otherwise in grasp.

• Like Like x 1