Dumaguete Info Search

Review I am kuripot now

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dave_Hounddriver, May 17, 2017.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    This is a review of my tricycle ride from Lee Plaza to Robinson's Mall yesterday.

As I walked up to the row of tricycles waiting in front of Lee Plaza, one of them waved me over. I said "Robinson's Mall" in a questioning voice and he said "sure sure" and ushered me in.

As it happened there were 3 of us in the trike and off we went. The driver let off the first, older lady, near the market and she slowly counted out 8 pesos and handed it to the driver which he accepted with a smile, he actually got out and helped her get out of the trike. She was probably in her 60's, like me, and I guessed that 8 pesos is the senior's rate.

From there we went up to Hypermart where the next, middle-aged, lady got out. I notice she made a show of giving 15 pesos and he said thank you. I thought that must be a tip and having read on this forum that filipinos don't tip I was mildly surprised. But then I remembered that I have seen filipinos tip many, many times so I decided it was indeed a tip.

Next he took me to Robinson's mall. I have taken a trike from Lee Plaza to Robininson's many time and always paid 10 pesos so I had it handy and paid as I got off. Thats when it happened.

In a voice just loud enough for me to hear clearly he said one word and it sounded like "kur'pot". I just smiled and walked away but I wondered how many other foreigners tip, which would be why he thought I was cheap to pay the exact fare?

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    P8 is around downtown not a senior citizen's privilege. Robinson's is a bit far so P10 is considered fair enough especially that he had 3 passengers. Lee to Hypermart is considered "very far" :hilarious: from downtown hence the tip. Maybe you didn't hear her say to the driver: "Hypermart, 15" otherwise the driver would have said no.
    Next time, tell him: "Owatorn!?"(are you kidding me) :cautious:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I don't use trikes much any more but when I do it is usually to my benefit (Having Had a beer or two)
    I ask how much and have the choice to Yay or Nay. Junob to Hypermart/Flip Flops is 10 but on the Return I usually double that (the Curse of Drinking :facepalm:)

BTW according to Reports on this from the last Round of Shakeups on Trike fares, I was Under the Impression that the Official one ride Fare is 6.5 peso but to me 8 is right ( But then we are Rich EH?)
    Now I may be wrong and it went up a little to 7.5 so 8 would be the roundup. Having said this My neighbour Repairs Trikes & M/C's and he tells me that the Costs are starting to rise for Parts and his Labour bill for his men is to rise so I think we may be Looking at another Rise in travel but Come on is even 20 is not a Great deal for that Ride Home after whatever we have been up to? :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I would also have given p10 for Lee Plaza to the Mall as I have without issue many times. When the sun goes down, the price goes up and I will always ask. Usually 20-25, was quoted p40 once and I laughed at him and walked away. Three steps later another trike stopped and was happy with 20.

• Like Like x 2
  5. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm not familiar with the south, but you could also pay P10 from North City Limit to downtown but not vice versa unless maybe catching it from Daro? Don't pay for 3 or 4 seats unless it's more than 3kms.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Not sure you would get away with that.

7. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have no problems with P40 from Perdices to Bolocboloc further up from KIA which is more than 3kms from Lee, Perdices. From downtown to crossing of Santa Monica road is P20, and add another P20 if you go to the beach club.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    They should not be Plying for Passengers on that Road anyway so I guess the 40 p would be right :cautious:
    If my memory serves me right that was one of things that they were told at the last meeting held with City Hall on this issue But............ as with many things, 2 or 3 weeks (Months even things get back to Norm?):laugh:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I always go with my wife and Robinson's to BPi Bank she pays 20/25php for the two of us depending on the attitude of the driver, friendly gets 25p and quiet sullen drivers get 20p. Same for the return trip from Hypermart to the Siaton Terminal near Robinson's... Some have tried to charge double for me but asawa puts them in their place quick smart! :biggrin: lol

I now keep watch for those "Tourist Approved Tricycle Drivers" as the last one stung us 250pesos! Now I wave them on and politely say; "No Thank you"... :cautious:

Also BEWARE of V-Hire Vans, as the one and only time we caught one of those they stung us 360p EACH PLUS our Groceries to travel from near the Ceres Terminal to Maluay! I would rather pay the 25p ea for non-Air/50p ea for Air-con Ceres Bus or 20p ea plus 20p each grocery box to catch a Jeepney rather than catch another HOT SWEATY STINKY V-Hire Van where they pack you in tighter than sardines with NO Air-con! :speechless:

EDIT:
    Just found this online, seems I am not the only one thinking this way about V-Hire... This NOT only happens in Cebu! :rolleyes:
    LTFRB 7 probes ‘exorbitant’ V-hire fares

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I like it better when the driver doesn't talk, and even when I am thanked after I say thank you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1