Dumaguete Info Search

I became a little disenfranchised

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by carl, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carl

carl DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    After surfing thru the classifeds the other day I became a little curious . I certainly dont want to exploit the gentleman who posted the ad but I would like some opinions from his reply if possible . This man was selling all of his household items so I sent him a message asking why he was leaving . I was somewhat disenfranchised by his response . Now understand I am not nor will my family ever be allowed to present us as being wealthy or flamboyant , but I am a westerner . This gentleman said he was leaving the philippines ( Dumaguete I presumed ) because of a few reasons one of which was disturbing to me . He said crime was one of the main reasons he was leaving . I was not happy to hear that at all as I have been planning to move my wife and 3 children to our home in Dumaguete in the near future . He told me that crime was on the rise and that most of it goes unsolved and/or unpunished by the local authority . He also advised me to be prepared to live a very modest and "on the down low " lifestyle . Now understand , I am not a flashy person nor do I brag or try to pretend to be something that I am not . But I am a westerner and dont want to be a target . We plan to live a simple life in the Philippines , Im not worried about myself but I am very concerned for the safety of my wife and children . Any opinions would be appreciated . Thanks , ....Carl

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Interesting, but I would have asked him more questions, such as....

Crime? Has this happened to you personally or people you know about or it is info you have gotten from the press?

"He told me that crime was on the rise and that most of it goes unsolved and/or unpunished by the local authority."

Probably true, but in what part of the Philippines does he know this for a fact?

What statistics does he have to back this up, or is it just a personal opinion or observation?

Crime rates vary by area world-wide for a number of reasons.

"....But I am a westerner and don't want to be a target."

Westerner or not, it is stupid, in my opinion, to flaunt wealth. Anyone who is street smart knows it is better to not make yourself an obvious target, whether in the Philippines or ANYWHERE else in the world.

If you do not make yourself an obvious target, and have some street smarts, I really don't think you, your spouse, or your kids, have anything to worry about, especially in the greater Dumaguete area.

3. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    The crime rate in Dumaguete is growing on par with the city growing.
    That means too fast.

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Carl, have you been here to Dumaguete yet?

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Carl, I can assure you the crime rate is no worse than say in Pheonix or Yuma!

Larry in Dumaguete

6. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Carl, I can assure you the crime rate is not as bad as Pheonix or Yuma!

7. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    There is a good thread on this subject from a few years back titled the "safety" issue and of course there are many others but in this one I detail a true Dumaguete incident that involved my family and a breakin that occured while I was living with family. The breakin could only have occured if we were being watched and targeted. I just mention this because those who will tell you Dumaguete is entirely safe are wrong and they have just been lucky. In spite of this though I still would retire in Dumaguete but I am putting that off for ten more years at least since I am still in my peak earning years and I want my children to get a stateside education because I am not impressed one bit by the PI education systems escpecially in Dumaguete. And it seems my boy was actully scared while in the PI, that is while he was not having fun that is.

So it is not really the crime reason I am staying away but to say there is no crime in Dumaguete and that you are not at risk is just wrong and you deserve to know or find out as much as you can before you make your decision. PM me if you need more details.

8. OP
    OP
    carl

carl DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    A Sign Will Be posted

My inlaws are living in my house right now . I have spoke to him and he told me that we will be able to purchase a gun when I get there . So I guess I will be doing the same as I do here in the states which is post several signs around my property which simply state " No Trespassing and enter at your own risk because this property is well armed and not afraid to use them at all " I guess im going to be moving to a crime ridden city . So to hell with it . Someone crosses the line and I simply shoot to kill not once but until the magazine is empty . Ide actually enjoy killing someone or many if I could who is a threat to my family .

9. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Crime is completely relative. Try reading the Houston Chronicle on any day to see what it is there.
    As has been said in this thread and many others here, don't be stupid and you won't have problems (here or anywhere in the world).
    I've been here for almost a year and feel safer than in Houston.

10. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Manzanita - Yuma? That ain't a good comparison. One of the most dangerous cities in the world. But, you get your point across. I'd walk a dark street anywhere in phils and feel safer than any well lit street in Yuma. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.