Dumaguete Info Search

I could use a couple O+ blood donors

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by SurfinUSA, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I've been getting shots 2x a week to try and raise my hemoglobin above 90. Low hemoglobin is kind of normal for kidney dialysis patients.

My Dr says the blood from the Red Cross etc should be less than one week old, but there no blood available that isn't older than that. My situation isn't life threatening, but it'd speed up the rise in my hemoglobin.

Any potential donors would have to have their blood checked, then blood drawn if their blood checks out ok. Some sort of physical exam is required, I'd pay for all that of course. The whole thing would take each donor about two hours SUMC said.

While we are on that subject, DI forum may want a sticky thread or whatever for available donors who'd be willing to donate to others when needed to list their blood type etc, since there basically isn't an actual blood bank in town.

Just send me a PM if you're interested in donating..

2. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sorry i am not there in the PI currently and honestly I do not even know my blood type but again this is something I was just thinking about since i was reading an article today about the lack of blood in Mexico due to all the violence. Hopefully you can get your situation taken care of and lets also get something organized. I would be happy to particulate once I get back

3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I think that is an EXCELLENT idea! :D

4. OP
    OP
    SurfinUSA

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The Cebu forum regularly has notices about blood types needed..

5. dodong

dodong DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yes, excellent idea. I think am O+, (can never remember whether it's + or - ) whichever is called "universal donor". But I won't be back in Dumaguete until May 20th or 21st.

6. OP
    OP
    SurfinUSA

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    O+ can give to anyone. I could take O- if it was a medical emergency, but otherwise I can only receive O+.

I'll keep you in mind, though I may have found a couple donors already. Depending on whether one donor's medication is allowable..

7. gypsy

gypsy DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    good idea. my blood type is B positive.

when my father needed a blood donor, we were advised to go to norsu and speak to the head of the criminology department. there are a lot of students there who are willing to give blood for a small fee.

8. OP
    OP
    SurfinUSA

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You're probably O positive. For now I'll say I might need you to donate when you get back and have time. I only have one donor lined up for now.

We'll check Monday whether the two donations should be done same day, or same week etc.

Thanks!

9. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173

You have it a bit backwards. Universal Donors are O- and can give to anyone. O+ can only give to any type that is also +.

Same goes similiar with other types for instance and AB- can only recieve from an AB- but an AB+ can recieve from both AB+ and AB-.

That Medic training and some medical studies in college don't do much but do help with some things!

10. nick78_swe

nick78_swe DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im home in Sweden right now but when/if i get back to Duma i can donate, im O+ and have donated blood here in Sweden several times so i know the drill =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.